For those who have wondered where I had gotten to, or why I hadn't been posting much (read: at all) there's a reasonable explanation. A few months ago I made the decision to run away from the circus that is yachting and gallivanting around St. Barts...
As SSDs become more common, you'll also hear more about Non-Volatile Memory Express, a.k.a. NVM Express, or more commonly--NVMe. NVMe is a communications interface/protocol developed specially for SSDs by a consortium of vendors including Intel, Sams...
For many customers, selecting an internal storage device often means having to make the choice between a solid state drive and a hard drive. This can lead to compromises: if they want speed, they will forego capacity; if they want capacity, they will...
Google gives all comers 15 gigabytes' worth of free storage across Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Plus Photos. Not a bad chunk of space just for having a heartbeat.
While it's easy to make a thin SSD for low-profile laptops and other mobile computing devices, NAND memory isn't cheap. Designers are constantly faced with a choice between capacity and affordability. That's why the Seagate Laptop Ultrathin HDD is bi...
Tape is not dead - far from it. In fact, many enterprises depend on it for cost-effective long-term storage. Tape is also finding new applications in the virtualized and increasingly video-centric world of IT. As enterprises deal with bigger sets of ...
Some of the most memorable IT-related quotes were uttered in courtrooms this year, which involved a steady stream of legal challenges about intellectual property. In no particular order, these are some of the comments that stuck with us as 2012 winds...
"The Human Face of Big Data" is an ambitious and attractive new large-format book that aims to give readers, through photography and short articles, a glimpse of how powerful new data processing capabilities are changing people's lives. Author Rick S...
A punched card was once the basis for digital information used for computer programs and data storage. They were widely used throughout the first half of the 20th century in processing machines to input data and to store it. Punch cards could be fed ...
Attention all Back To The Future fans: If you're in the market for a new hard drive, then the folks over at Flash Rods have something just for you. Flash Rods latest, known as the Delorean Time Machine Hard Drive, contains a 500GB Seagate drive withi...
Virtualizing x86 infrastructure isn't just a one-step process -- as servers change, the whole data center must change as well. While server hypervisors such as VMware's ESX, Microsoft's Hyper-V and Xen can make IT more efficient and cost-effective, m...
If you thought USB drives were only for attaching to desktop or laptop computers, think again. Various manufacturers provide ways to connect such drives to your network, so you can retrieve files stored on them from across your network, or even via t...
Either because server disks are full or because virtualization is a natural growth path, organizations large and small are moving toward shared storage. For large enterprises, high-capacity storage-area networks make sense, but what about small or mi...
Near the turn of the century, data centers were only beginning to implement Fibre Channel storage-area networks (SAN), with most relying on direct-attached storage (DAS). Data utilization rates were abysmal, with data centers on average using just 25...
Sling Media's small Slingbox 700U won one of three Best in Show awards given by the Industrial Designers Society of America (ISDA).
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
- The 10 best Android apps for Chromebooks
- This week in games: Homeworld's lost expansion returns, 15 minutes of Beyond Good & Evil 2
- The Steam Link is currently on sale for $15
- Kogan Agora 8 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Steam's Summer Sale kicks off with a $15 Steam Link, game discounts galore, and digital stickers
PCW Evaluation Team
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPython Fullstack Developer (Full Stack Environment)Other
- FTIT Field Services ManagerOther
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystVIC
- CCIT Partner Relationship ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- FTWindows 10 Project EngineerOther
- FTFull Stack ASP.NET DeveloperOther
- CCSAP MM Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsOther
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther
- TPSolution ArchitectWA
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTPlatform/DevOps EngineerOther
- CCICT TrainerQLD
- TPSenior Java Developer - Mulesoft IntegrationQLD
- CCDevOps Team LeaderNSW
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTHFC Network Modeller | 6mth ContractOther
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerNSW
- TPSenior .NET AWS DeveloperNSW
- FTWintel Engineer - Level 1 and 2 ServerOther
- CCSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTRelocate to Perth for Software Engineering RolesSA