Chipset vendors such as Broadcom and STMicroelectronics have launched products that'll make it possible to offer gigabit speeds over fiber as well as over copper and cable networks.
Knocking a drone out of the sky is sometimes possible using an invisible weapon -- sound.
Chip makers like Qualcomm, Nvidia and Samsung Electronics are working on components that will increase processing power, add more memory and increase screen resolution of next-generation smartphones.
Nokia has accused supplier STMicroelectronics of selling microphones Nokia says it developed to rival HTC, and on Monday won an injunction in the Amsterdam District Court preventing their sale.
The mobile chipset market is in a state of flux with a number of key vendors struggling, but analysts say the result of the turmoil will be more advanced high-end smartphones and cheaper low-end devices.
Working with Xsens Technologies, STMicroelectronics is next week demonstrating the world's first wearable wireless 3D body motion-tracking system based on consumer-grade sensors.
ST-Ericsson this week said it would cut up to 500 jobs as part of a cost-savings plan that could help the company reach profitability sooner.
Ericsson and STMicroelectronics will form a joint venture to build semiconductors and platforms for mobile devices, the companies said Wednesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- AMD's new AM4 motherboard software cures Ryzen's memory headaches
- Get real, Microsoft: If the Surface Pro is a laptop, bundle it with a Type Cover
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The top 3 Best DDR4 computer memory RAM kits in 2017 that you can buy right now
- Watch us play Vanquish on PC
PCW Evaluation Team
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- FTSenior React DeveloperNSW
- CCIDAM ArchitectVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTBPM DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCdevOps EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTLooking for Lead Solution ArchitectACT
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- FTData Analyst | $51 p/hrVIC
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA