As more sensors get added to the Internet of Things, power consumption can pose a problem, but researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have come up with a way to reduce the energy that such components require.
The PC market has stabilized a bit lately but that hasn't done much for AMD, whose PC processor shipments are in decline. The company hopes to recover momentum this year with a new laptop chip coming soon code-named Carrizo.
Qualcomm is planting the seeds for 4K video and faster LTE speeds in more affordable smartphones with its new Snapdragon 620 and 618 processors, which will reach devices in the second half of this year.
The PowerPC is best known for powering old Mac computers, while MIPS processors were in the first PlayStation, NASA's New Horizons spacecraft and the first $99 Android tablets. Now, both processor families are widely used in equipment like networking...
Samsung may be one of its biggest competitors, but Apple is again turning to the South Korean company to get chips made for the iPhone, according to a report.
To bring its microprocessor designs to emerging markets, ARM Holdings is looking to China and its growing number of electronics vendors to help pave the way.
The company that powers your smartphones and tablets has introduced its most powerful chip design yet, the Cortex-A72, which should find its way into gadgets early next year.
Stability in the PC market has benefitted many chip and computer companies, but not Advanced Micro Devices.
After more than a year of holding steady, memory prices could fall this year as competition heats up between DRAM makers and excess inventory floods the market.
3D cameras, 4K graphics and biometric log-ins: that's what Intel's latest fifth-generation Core chips will bring to laptops that will start shipping this month. Laptops will also be thinner, faster and offer longer battery life.
They waited for "one last thing" at Nvidia's press conference, but it never came.
Laptop battery life and graphics will get a serious boost with Intel's new Core processors, reaching PCs this month following a long delay.
Nvidia is betting that its new "mobile super chip" will help achieve truly self-driving cars, reflecting a new direction for the company from its traditional market in mobile devices.
Advanced Micro Devices wants its chips in more laptops, and is devising a new strategy to reverse a free fall it has endured in the PC market over the last few years.
Intel is bringing all its assets to bear on the Internet of Things, a hot topic for nearly all IT vendors but one that's especially critical to big chip makers.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Huawei Watch 2 Classic Review: Good watch but a missed opportunity for Wear 2.0
- Far Cry 5's first trailer reveals religious cults and explosions in picturesque Montana
- Amazon is offering two free months of Music Unlimited to new subscribers
- This week in games: Red Dead Redemption 2 is delayed, Destiny 2 PC servers explained
- Any website can crash your Windows 7 or 8 PC with these four characters
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCTRIM TrainerACT
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCManaging Architect - Satellite - TelcoVIC
- FTSecurity Engineer (Cisco ASA) - Professional Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project Manger - Global MarketsVIC
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- TPProgram Governance Lead (PMO)VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystWA
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCUX DeveloperQLD
- CCSplunk - Technical AnalystVIC
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSQL Analyst DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyVIC
- CCGun Java/ Full Stack Developer wanted...VIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SharePoint developerQLD
- FTIntermediate Project ManagerQLD