Many Linux users are ticked off and anxious about Microsoft joining the Linux Foundation. They are missing the real significance of that move.
IBM is looking to boost its mainframe business with a Linux push that includes new hardware, software and the founding of the Open Mainframe Project. The company is also contributing mainframe code to the open source community.
IBM has set up a new code repository that aims to foster collaborative development of enterprise open source software -- and it may also drum up interest in its own Bluemix platform services.
Potentially saving the world from another online security disaster like last year's Heartbleed, Amazon Web Services has released as open source a cryptographic module for securing sensitive data passing over the Internet.
Breaking out of its Windows ecosystem, Microsoft has introduced a version of the Visual Studio development tool that can run on Linux and Apple Mac machines.
Potentially making work easier for system administrators, Red Hat has updated its development packages to support running multiple versions of the same programming language on its flagship enterprise operating system, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
Every year, open-source software "eats" more of the business world.
Think Big on Monday took the wraps off its Dashboard Engine for Hadoop, which aims to make it easier for business users to extract insights from the vast lakes of data stored in Hadoop.
Once upon a time not so very long ago, Microsoft was widely considered the very antithesis of open-source software. Steve Ballmer called Linux "a cancer," and Bill Gates shared similar views about the open-source philosophy in general.
India has said it will use open source software in all e-governance projects, though it did not rule out the use of proprietary software to meet specialized requirements.
Open-source software projects are often well intended, but security can take a back seat to making the code work.
SugarCRM has been busy, acquiring mobile app and data analytics company Stitch earlier this month and then this week, announcing with Deutsche Telekom a customer relationship management hosting service in Germany. The moves highlight the company's pr...
Networking hardware and spontaneous applause don't often go together, but Facebook's Omar Baldonado set off a round of cheering this week when he told engineers there's finally an open-source hardware design that they can use to build switches.
The containerization trend has been growing fast and furious over the past year or so in the world of software development, and on Thursday leading player Docker announced a step toward further expansion.
The Open Compute Project says it has broken tight bonds between hardware and software that have kept networking closed for decades -- and it took less than two years.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Far Cry 5's first trailer reveals religious cults and explosions in picturesque Montana
- Amazon is offering two free months of Music Unlimited to new subscribers
- This week in games: Red Dead Redemption 2 is delayed, Destiny 2 PC servers explained
- Any website can crash your Windows 7 or 8 PC with these four characters
- AMD's new AM4 motherboard software cures Ryzen's memory headaches
PCW Evaluation Team
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTTeam LeaderSA
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior SQL Database SpecialistACT
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- FTDIRECTOR PROJECT DELIVERY, WELLINGTONNZ
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- FTPeopleSoft Campus Solution ConsultantNSW
- FTSoftware and Applications Programmer (Java Developer)ACT
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTSenior Unix/Linux EngineerNSW
- FTIntegration Developer (WebSphere Message Broker / Java)SA
- TPBusiness Analyst - Change and Process ImprovementQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - GROUP LIFE INSURANCENSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW
- FTIteration ManagerQLD