The first beta of Mozilla's new Firefox 4 browser has some rough edges, but it's off to a good start.
MeeGo is an Intel-sponsored Linux distribution designed for netbooks
Moblin is a Linux platform aimed at netbooks and mobile internet devices
open source in pictures
We found all four products to be capable network monitoring tools that performed well in our basic tasks such as checking for host availability and measuring bandwidth usage. Beyond the basics, there were quite a few differences in terms of features, granularity and configuration options.
The open source world's most notorious characters.
We mined Microsoft’s open source hosting repository to unearth 12 invaluable Windows admin tools -- and they're all free
Browser-based toolkits, add-ons to old favorites, tools programmers will love -- here are the most promising projects emerging from the open source community today
Many Linux users are ticked off and anxious about Microsoft joining the Linux Foundation. They are missing the real significance of that move.
IBM is looking to boost its mainframe business with a Linux push that includes new hardware, software and the founding of the Open Mainframe Project. The company is also contributing mainframe code to the open source community.
IBM has set up a new code repository that aims to foster collaborative development of enterprise open source software -- and it may also drum up interest in its own Bluemix platform services.
Potentially saving the world from another online security disaster like last year's Heartbleed, Amazon Web Services has released as open source a cryptographic module for securing sensitive data passing over the Internet.
Breaking out of its Windows ecosystem, Microsoft has introduced a version of the Visual Studio development tool that can run on Linux and Apple Mac machines.
If you've got a library of downloaded videos and want to watch them on your smartphone or tablet, you might find out they're the wrong file type. Some tablets and phones can only play specific file types, and only a few devices support high definitio...
FreeOTFE may sound like a political bumper sticker, but it stands for "Free On The Fly Encryption." The "Free" part is self-explanatory; "On The Fly Encryption" refers to the encrypting/decrypting of data as it is written to or read from your hard di...
With all the many compelling reasons for a company to switch to Linux on the desktop, it's no wonder that businesses large and small are increasingly relying on the free and open source operating system.
WARNING: Overclocking is not for the faint of heart. Do not attempt to hack your phone unless you understand and accept the risks of turning it into a useless "brick."
There are many ways that vendors of proprietary products try to scare business customers away from open source software, and one of the more commonly heard examples involves vague fears about compliance with open source licenses. There's nothing like...
Contributing to open-source projects can give software developers an edge over other applicants in the competitive IT job market, say hiring professionals.
It's a rare week indeed that doesn't see the emergence of some fresh news of Android's ascendance, but lately the evidence has been coming particularly fast and furious, suggesting that there really is no stopping the mobile platform--at least not an...
Yet another survey is indicating that security is a big issue for those intending to take up cloud computing.
Smartphone users tend to hold strong opinions about the various mobile platforms out there, often displaying feverish loyalty to the one they use and outright disdain for all others.
Most of us don't like paying for antivirus (AV) software, but at least home users can rely on one of the free options, such as Microsoft Security Essentials, avast!, or AVG Free.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Huawei Watch 2 Classic Review: Good watch but a missed opportunity for Wear 2.0
- Far Cry 5's first trailer reveals religious cults and explosions in picturesque Montana
- Amazon is offering two free months of Music Unlimited to new subscribers
- This week in games: Red Dead Redemption 2 is delayed, Destiny 2 PC servers explained
- Any website can crash your Windows 7 or 8 PC with these four characters
PCW Evaluation Team
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - GROUP LIFE INSURANCENSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- CCData ArchitectWA
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSecurity Dev Ops and Java DeveloperVIC
- TPEOI - JAVA DeveloperACT
- TPSenior Sitecore Developer (.NET)QLD
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 2 SupportQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTData Analyst | $51 p/hrVIC
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTEmail Marketing SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOACT
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - MurwillumbahNSW
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW