Apple launched the iPad four years ago, igniting a tablet frenzy that altered personal computing at home and at work, but Microsoft has yet to release an Office version for touchscreen devices.
Collaboration software vendor Open-Xchange added cloud storage to its offerings to allow users to sync files, folders, documents and pictures.
In appearances in September and October, Steve Ballmer said Microsoft would build native Office editions for iPads and Android tablets, but the company's marketing chief spoke with much less certainty when asked about this on Thursday.
Microsoft is offering multifactor authentication free as an option to all users of its Office 365 suite, a hosted set of Microsoft Office tools and applications.
Open source office suite LibreOffice has overhauled its spreadsheet program, Calc, to try to make it better suited to the needs of enterprise users who handle big data sets.
IT administrators of the Office 365 cloud email and collaboration suite will now be able to check their management console from their mobile devices.
Google is trying to make it easier for Apps customers to find and deploy third-party applications from the Marketplace store it launched a few years ago.
Office Web Apps, the browser-based, pared-down version of the Microsoft suite, now lets people co-edit documents in real time, a capability its main rival Google Docs has had for more than two years.
In the office, people still prefer Microsoft Office.
In another example of the blurred lines between business and personal computing, Whirlpool chose Google Apps because it's convinced Google's focus on consumers gives it a special innovation edge as a provider of enterprise software.
Adding convenience possibly at the expense of security, Google will now let people without a Google Account view documents stored in its Apps cloud suite.
Microsoft is adding subscription pricing for apps in its Office Store, besides opening eight new store fronts.
Microsoft has added features to Power BI for Office 365, a data analysis tool to complement Excel that the company hasn't yet released in final form.
Nonprofit organizations will be able to sign up for Office 365 for free or at a reduced price as part of a new program Microsoft launched on Tuesday.
In its first major revision in more than a year, the Apache OpenOffice suite now comes with a sidebar, from which users can launch their favorite tools.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
- Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
- AMD, Nvidia coin mining graphics cards appear as gaming GPU shortage intensifies
- Why is the iPhone having an existential crisis? | The iPhone Show
- Akitio Node Cabinet review: Real, affordable graphics for your laptop
- 10 supremely useful Microsoft OneNote add-ins and tools
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
- Alienware 13 full, in-depth review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevOps LeadVIC
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- TPAnalyst Program SupportVIC
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesOther
- FTSenior Analyst - Security / DevOpsOther
- FTLevel 2 Application Support ConsultantQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTPresales Solution Architect - NetworksVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerOther
- CCTechnical Product OwnerQLD
- FTService Desk Analyst - 1st LevelACT
- CCTransition Officer-Service NowNSW
- CCSAP Hana DeveloperACT
- CCSenior/Lead Network Security Engineer - Financial Services - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTWeb DesignerSA
- FTICT System TrainersACT
- FTFinancial AnalystOther
- FTService Desk Analyst - Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTContracts Admin/ Commercial Analyst- NSW Government backgroundOther
- TPSolution Architect - CISCO PrimeQLD
- FTSystems Engineer SCCMACT
- FTProject Coordinator / Junior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantOther
- FTSystem EngineerNSW