IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Under pressure to boost margins, IBM is set to make what it calls a "major business announcement" Monday morning, raising the possibility that it has finalized a deal to transfer chip-making operations to GlobalFoundries.
Samsung is partnering with chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries to increase the supply of low-power, high-speed chips for smartphones and tablets.
GlobalFoundries, a contract chip manufacturer that works closely with semiconductor companies, appointed former Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha as its chief executive Monday.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 3a review: Less is more
- 2 Moto G7 review: The new gold standard for budget buyers
- 3 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Join the newsletter!
- Can't wait for the Mac Pro? Build your own with the Dune Pro
- Secured-core PCs offer new defense against firmware attacks
- Microsoft buys Mover to make moving from Google Drive to OneDrive a snap
- Surface Laptop 3 review: AMD Ryzen makes a great 15-inch Surface, but Intel's version may be better
- Pixel 4 vs every other Pixel: The newest Google phone might not be the best one to buy
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
- Happy iPhone Day: Here's everything Apple just announced
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Australian review (2019)
- Best true wireless earbuds: Jabra vs Sony vs Beats
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies