An update to Windows 8 is in the works, codenamed Windows Blue.
Windows 8 - Slideshows
13 new Windows machines that aren't Surface RT
Microsoft today launched Windows 8 in Australia, showcasing the new operating system's interface, apps and social features to a room full of journalists at Sydney's Hordern Pavilion.
Microsoft's Windows 8 launch on October 26 is nearly here, and new device announcements are coming so fast you need a scorecard to keep up. One of the big themes with this touch-centric Windows release is touchscreens on everything including Ultrabooks, tablets with keyboard docks, or new all-in-one convertible PCs. Some critics aren't buying the hybrid device craze that Windows 8 is inspiring, but if you ever wanted to a touch-enabled laptop, there's never been a better time to buy.
When Windows 8 finally comes out in October, there will be many new types of notebooks on the market that will be able to take advantage of the new operating system's touch features. There will be plenty of notebook styles to choose from, and we're starting to get a glimpse of what some of the manufacturers will be offering.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- What if Windows 10 fails?
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- How to test-drive Windows 8 for free in VirtualBox
- HP's hardware boss not a fan of Surface, Windows RT
- Why isn't Microsoft's answer to Siri built into Windows 8?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- TPService Desk OperatorQLD
- FTHealthcare Application Integration Support - Brisbane BasedWA
- FTBusiness Process AnalystWA
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- CCGIS DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Network Engineer - RANVIC
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- FTChange CoordinatorACT
- TPIteration Lead - .NetQLD
- CCCRM Techno FunctionalistQLD
- FTICT Contract AnalystWA
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTWeb Developer | Parramatta | Initial 6 month contractNSW
- FTSenior Solutions Architect - Network & Unified ComunicationsACT
- FTVDI EngineerACT
- CCTelecommunication Business SpecialistTAS
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Mobile ApplicationsQLD
- CCNetwork EngineerQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW