The Next-Gen PC Design Competition, sponsored by Microsoft, aimed to encourage designers to submit ideas for the future of personal computing. We show you the winners, and some close runner-ups with innovative ideas.
Notebooks & PCs - Slideshows
IBM, Los Alamos smash petaflop barrier.
For those who were wondering whether Microsoft's Surface tabletop touch-sensitive computers were going to be anything more than retail sales tools, here's an update: The Surface is making its debut as a bar coffee table in Las Vegas on 11 June.
From kid geek to the world's next great philanthropist?
The hottest news emerging from the Computex show in Taipei, Taiwan, is the looming ultraportable war and the battle of the processors.
A preview of what gizmos won't be appearing in future editions of tech magazine columns.
A desktop replacement notebook is perfect if you don't have the space for a fully fledged desktop setup, but today's desktop replacement notebooks are often much more than typical notebooks: in many cases they are complete entertainment systems, and are a perfect centrepiece for your lounge room. In this slideshow we'll show you five of the best home entertainment notebooks currently on the market.
Considering that the keyboard is the primary input device for most of the PCs ever made, it's amazing how many times manufacturers have gotten it completely, laughably wrong. After painstakingly reviewing scads of the most lacklustre keyboards, I systematically whittled them down to these ten all-time offenders, based on four factors: feel, layout, functionality and infamy. All of these machines date from the 1970s and 1980s, but don't get too comfortable — recently, Apple released a new keyboard for its iMac line that looks suspiciously like a Chiclet keyboard of old. While the verdict on that keyboard is still out, there's room for future additions to this list. Stay tuned...
Don't let hooligans handle your hardware. Here are eight ways to keep your notebook from being pinched -- or to get it back if it is stolen.
The budget ultraportable notebook market has been scorching hot since Asus launched its Eee PC 701 4G to wide acclaim. Now Hewlett-Packard has joined the fray with the HP 2133 "Mini-Note PC" starting from $899
If it's a home entertainment notebook you're lusting after, look no further than the latest offering from ASUS.
Acer's Aspire Gemstone Blue is the company's latest attempt at a notebook for the home market. It's got plenty of great features and it's relatively easy to use. Best of all: it won't break the bank.
Woz, Word and War Games
The Bug Labs BUG is a modular, open-source gadget that allows users to create their own combinations of plug-in modules, and then customise software to take advantage of the functionality offered.
Intel's 2Go PC is another upcoming entrant to the market of ultra-budget laptops, aimed at the education sector.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Microsoft beefs up its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4
- Microsoft plants flagship store on Sydney’s Pitt Street
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- CCAppian Developer x 2VIC
- FTSecurity AnalystQLD
- CCSAP HCM Support & Configuration ConsultantQLD
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- TPEOI - Developers and Tester (APS)ACT
- FTSr Infrastructure Automation EngineerACT
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerVIC
- FTPractise Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTLearning & Development Consultant, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTSenior Support EngineerNSW
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- FTSolution ArchitectACT