Acer has launched a funky-looking gaming PC
Notebooks & PCs - Slideshows
Here are 10 cool ways to add useful new features and functionality to your laptop.
During a low-key function in Sydney, Sony unveiled its latest notebook -- the Sony Vaio VGN-Z17GN.
Blogger Ron Barrett has scoured the IT world to bring you this list of affordably priced business productivity tools that run on any desktop (many are even free). Also check out Barrett's full review of each tool in his A Better Windows World blog.
The HP Mini-Note PC is one of the best ultraportable laptops on the market for under $1000. The best part is that its RAM and hard drive are easily upgradeable.
The Linux version of the Aspire One ships with 512MB of RAM. However, there is a free SO-DIMM slot for you to add a DDR2 module but it can be tricky to get to it, as there is no access panel underneath the unit.
Who doesn't want better graphics quality from their notebook PC? You can get there by doing it yourself. But be warned: If the upgrade is possible at all for your laptop, it can be a time-consuming operation that involves disassembling virtually your entire notebook, so don't enter into this process unless you are willing to accept the risk of doing serious harm to your machine. That said, if done properly, this project can give you noticeably higher frame rates in the end. The process should take about 45 minutes all up, and it's not a procedure for novices. Here's how we did it...<br><i>Photograph: Charlie Nucci</i>
At 10in, the MSI Wind is perhaps the perfect low-cost ultraportable laptop on the market. It possesses good speed for Web browsing and office applications and plenty of storage, and it's very comfortable to use. Because we're naturally curious about the way these types of laptops are put together, we opened the Wind and took a peek inside. The biggest surprise was the 2.5in SATA hard drive, which takes up the majority of the space.
Yesterday Toshiba unveiled its new line-up of consumer and business notebooks, with an ultramobile prototype stealing the show.
We all know that the Eee PC 901 is better than its predecessor, but what makes it tick? We peeled the top layer off our test unit to take a look inside.
Intel released its latest-generation Centrino platform yesterday -- Centrino 2, which is also known by its codename 'Montevina'. There is a big push for high-definition content with the new platform, which Intel says will decode Blu-ray movies better than the Santa Rosa platform (the previous-generation Centrino platform) and also last longer while not plugged in to an outlet. Nearly all notebook vendors were present at the launch today, but Dell and Apple were conspicuously absent.
While we're enduring winter, over in the US summer is just kicking into gear. And nothing says summer more than a bunch of awesome gear and toys. GamePro (US) went out and rounded up some amazing tech that's sure to help you maximise your time in the sun. Once we finally get some Down Under! So grab your lawn chairs and your sunscreen as we unveil GamePro's Summer Vacation Gear Guide for 2008.
The Acer Aspire One is set to compete with ASUS' Eee PC and HP's Mini-Note PC. It's pretty much the same size as the Eee PC, but has some exciting features (including Intel's Atom CPU) and it looks fantastic. If you're after a new ultraportable laptop, or 'netbook', as the manufacturers like to call them, this one is as just as good as the Eee PC, if not better.
Before the Eee PC 901 hits Aussie shores, we go under the hood of the original Eee PC to find out what makes it tick.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Microsoft beefs up its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4
- Microsoft plants flagship store on Sydney’s Pitt Street
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
- Lenovo debuts Yoga Tablet 2 Pro with 13-inch screen and projector
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTPractise Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- TPEOI - Developers and Tester (APS)ACT
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- FTSenior Citrix Engineer / LeadNSW
- CCSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst - Microsoft BI Stack - NewcastleNSW
- CCSQL Analyst DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksQLD
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- FTReport Developer and Visualisation AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW