In this review, we examine how the Synology DS112 network attached storage (NAS) device can be used within a school environment to provide an easy-to-use file structure on iPads.
Servers & Storage - Reviews
The Synology DS112 is a single-drive network attached storage (NAS) device that actually has three siblings, all of which are aimed at slightly different markets. The baby is the DS112J, which is aimed at the SOHO market; the DS112 reviewed here is a...
WD's Red series of hard drives is designed to be used with network attached storage (NAS) devices, rather than in desktop computers. The drives are new additions to the company's already colourful internal drive line up, which includes the Blue serie...
Before entering the Synology Showcase competition, I went to the company's Web site to do a bit of research on the DSM 4 software. It looked like it was a lot more than just a NAS.
The Qnap TS-469Pro is a four-bay network attached storage (NAS) device that's geared towards those of you who want an advanced and versatile network storage solution. It can be set up to house backups and large files on a local network, yet it can al...
The Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive is a 2.5in hard drive-based external storage device that can be used as a backup drive not only for your computer, but also for photos that you have uploaded to your Facebook and Flickr accounts. It's the latter...
Seagate has just announced a new range of external hard drives, called Backup Plus, which put a major focus backing up all of your data, not just what's on your home computers. They are designed to make the backup process automatic and they also aim ...
Synology has made a name for itself offering a huge range of network storage devices with excellent management software that’s constantly evolving, aimed at small business and home power users. The DiskStation DS412+ is one of those products -- it’s ...
Sometimes you just need to have all your stuff stored in one place. Having multiple drives and partitions can get confusing when it comes to both accessing your data and figuring out what needs to be backed up, not to mention the mess of power and da...
Synology's DiskStation DS212j is a two-bay network attached storage (NAS) device that's aimed at the home and small office markets. It doesn't ship with any hard drives, so you'll have to source one or two of your own 3.5in SATA disks before you can ...
The Buffalo CloudStation CS-X1 is a single-drive, 1TB network storage device that's designed to live on the Internet. It's one of the easiest drives we've ever used when it comes to remote access, and this is due to the PogoPlug technology that Buffa...
Synology's two-bay, DiskStation DS212+ provides great performance and state-of-the-art connectivity, but it lacks the expandability and physical security of its sibling, the DiskStation DS712+.
Running an Intel Atom CPU and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2, the WD Sentinel is designed for small business users who want an easy solution not only for backing up data and serving files, but also for accessing data remotely.
Traditional external spinning-disk hard drives can be fragile things -- if you’re carrying one around with you it’s almost guaranteed to get a few knocks and bumps, and there’s an ever-present chance that it might fail. You can reduce the chance of t...
Western Digital's My Book Live Duo is the two-disk version of the company's My Book Live network storage solution. Western Digital calls these drives "personal cloud storage" because they offer an easy way for users to access their own data (which co...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- CCSystems Specialist - Network Systems l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTProject Manager - Knowledge Management implementationVIC
- FTOracle Database Administrator (DBA)SA
- CCInteraction DesignerNSW
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- FTBusiness Process AnalystWA
- CCTibco Integration Specialist l Port MacquarieQLD
- TPSoftware Licensing SpecialistNSW
- CCTibco Integration Specialist l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTGeospatial Data AnalystVIC
- FTDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD
- TPBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- CCArchitect/Senior Capacity Planner Network Engineering - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst, FinanceNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Oracle CC&BVIC
- FTProject ManagerQLD
- FTMidrange Application Developer (.Net)ACT
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (Mid-level)VIC
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD