Unlike the excellent Threatfire, PC Tools Antivirus Free Edition, which neglects to detect spyware, allows far too many pieces of malware through for it to realistically protect any PC.
Security - Reviews
One of the best ways to protect your PC is to keep all your software up-to-date. Patching over security holes blocks online attackers who like nothing more than exploiting old software flaws to surreptitiously install Trojans and other malware.
Just as Christmas seems to come earlier every year so does the season for releasing next year's crop of AV products. So it is with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, the latest iteration of the respected security bundle.
The just-released beta of Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2010 is more notable for what's under the hood than what you actually see.
Want fine-grained control over the firewall built into Windows 7 and Windows Vista - especially the way it blocks outbound connections? Good luck. Even if you manage to unearth the controls buried deep in Windows menus and applications, you'll be baf...
The beta of Microsoft Security Essentials is a solid, free tool that protects against malware while taking up few system resources and staying out of your way as much as possible.
Safe Calculator is a neat little utility that pretends to be the basic Windows calculator when you launch it. In actuality, it's a safe that can take a single file and encrypt it, disappearing it into the application itself.
It may not be the first internet security suite that springs to mind, but G-Data InternetSecurity 2010 (one-year, one-user licence: US$29; one-year, three-user licence: $39) is among the best we've seen at malware detection and removal.
Comodo Internet Security Pro 3.8 is a newcomer to the consumer internet security suite market. And based on our experience, the suite is clearly in its infancy.
If anything, ZoneAlarm Extreme may be guilty of having too many pieces: it bundles together the basic security suite with the unique features of ID theft mitigation and recovery service, online data storage, and the optional PC utility. This premium ...
Unlike some security vendors, AVG Internet Security 8.5 allows you to opt in to various partnerships (as opposed to opting out), such as the Yahoo Search box, during installation.
As portable USB flash drive storage capacities continue to rise, the possibility of losing a lot of data in one hit becomes more worrying. While there are no flashing lights, laser grids or barbed wire to suggest that the Kingston DataTraveler Vault ...
Symantec acquired the security vendor in 2008 to increase its worldwide market share with consumers in new and emerging regional markets. Since the acquisition, PC Tools maintains a separate development operation from Symantec's consumer business uni...
When it comes to protecting yourself against malware, you can't take too many precautions. AVG Identity Protection gives you another security tool to protect against malware threats specifically designed to steal private information such as passwords...
There has been a trend for some time whereby creators of parental controls software use the internet much more actively as a tool for monitoring and setting limits on what children can do online. This began as simply a means to send information via e...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- A vigilante hacker may have built a computer worm to protect the IoT
- Suspected CIA spying tools linked to hacks in 16 countries
- The iCloud hackers' bitcoin ransom looks like a fake
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Business AnalystSA
- FTTest AnalystNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSolution Architect x 2 (ETL/SSIS)NSW
- FTSQL Server Database DeveloperSA
- TPPMO LeadNSW
- CCProject Communications and Engagement SpecialistQLD
- CCSystems AdminNSW
- FTAsst. Director - Claim AnalysisACT
- FTProject ManagerQLD
- FTDeveloper - Python, Ruby, or PerlQLD
- FTIT Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst Forecaster - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystWA
- FTVDI EngineerACT
- TPAgile Project Manager. Lean ProductivityNSW
- FTData Analyst - Tableau and Power BI suiteNSW
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTSystem AnalystsACT
- FTData Analyst - GISQLD
- FTMobile Studio Lead/ Mobile UX LeadNSW
- FTHealthcare Application Integration Support - Brisbane BasedWA
- FTWeb Developer | Parramatta | Initial 6 month contractNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerACT
- TPProgram Manager - 12 month contractQLD