PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 is a free behaviour-based antivirus utility that serves as a great supplement to your existing security software, offering superb behaviour-based detection.
Security - Reviews
ClamWin Free Antivirus stands apart from other free antivirus software because it's open-source, with no proprietary or commercial aspects. But in the essential task of blocking malware, it doesn't get the job done.
Avira AntiVir Personal's excellent malware detection, disinfection, and scan speed earned it the top spot in our ranking of free antivirus software. Its interface could be better, though, and using the app means putting up with daily pop-up ads.
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition, developed in the Czech Republic, offers capable malware detection and faster-than-average scan speed, both of which helped propel the app to the number two spot in our rankings of free antivirus software. Its clunk...
Unlike the excellent Threatfire, PC Tools Antivirus Free Edition, which neglects to detect spyware, allows far too many pieces of malware through for it to realistically protect any PC.
One of the best ways to protect your PC is to keep all your software up-to-date. Patching over security holes blocks online attackers who like nothing more than exploiting old software flaws to surreptitiously install Trojans and other malware.
Just as Christmas seems to come earlier every year so does the season for releasing next year's crop of AV products. So it is with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, the latest iteration of the respected security bundle.
The just-released beta of Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2010 is more notable for what's under the hood than what you actually see.
Want fine-grained control over the firewall built into Windows 7 and Windows Vista - especially the way it blocks outbound connections? Good luck. Even if you manage to unearth the controls buried deep in Windows menus and applications, you'll be baf...
The beta of Microsoft Security Essentials is a solid, free tool that protects against malware while taking up few system resources and staying out of your way as much as possible.
Safe Calculator is a neat little utility that pretends to be the basic Windows calculator when you launch it. In actuality, it's a safe that can take a single file and encrypt it, disappearing it into the application itself.
It may not be the first internet security suite that springs to mind, but G-Data InternetSecurity 2010 (one-year, one-user licence: US$29; one-year, three-user licence: $39) is among the best we've seen at malware detection and removal.
Comodo Internet Security Pro 3.8 is a newcomer to the consumer internet security suite market. And based on our experience, the suite is clearly in its infancy.
If anything, ZoneAlarm Extreme may be guilty of having too many pieces: it bundles together the basic security suite with the unique features of ID theft mitigation and recovery service, online data storage, and the optional PC utility. This premium ...
Unlike some security vendors, AVG Internet Security 8.5 allows you to opt in to various partnerships (as opposed to opting out), such as the Yahoo Search box, during installation.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
- Ford Everest Trend RWD 3.2L Diesel review
- Ford Everest Trend in its natural habitat
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSAP Project Manager- (Successfactor)Other
- CCAlliance ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Mobile / Web DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Network EngineerVIC
- FTBI Support AnalystNSW
- CCMULTIPLE - SAP ABAP UI5 DevelopersVIC
- CCJunior Business AnalystWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTBizTalk Technical LeadQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Investment FundsNSW
- CCDigital Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTPMO Project AnalystOther
- FTAutomation TesterVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCTraining specialistNSW
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst- Online/Website application developmentOther
- FTProgram / Portfolio Management ConsultantSA
- FTSoftware Engineer (Java with DevOps)VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCMid-Senior Project OfficerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC