No one ever talks about scanners these days. At least not typical consumers, who often make do with the built-in scanner on a multifunction centre. However, for business users, a dedicated scanner can come in handy, especially when it's of the calibre of Brother's PDS-5000.
Printers & Imaging
For many of us, a scanner isn't something that's high on our wishlist of tech gear. But there are still some interesting models out there, and compact ones at that. Fujitsu's ScanSnap S1100 Portable Scanner is one of them, and it's very convenient if you need to digitise documents every now and then, either at your desk or while on the road.
But the Canon CanoScan LiDE 200 has some drawbacks, including skimpy OCR functions and the inability to scan transmissive items (such as film).
The HP ScanJet N6310 is a flatbed document scanner
Epson's low-cost V200 scans photos and film into winning images on the quick.
The Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 5590, predominantly aimed at home office or small businesses, offers a mixed set of results. For the rapid scanning of monochrome documents and conversion to editable text files, the automatic document feeder enabled scanner does an excellent job. For photo scanning and film scanning, the results were less impressive. If you want a fast way of scanning documents, the Scanjet 5590 is a good solution.
Way, way down at the bottom of Hewlett Packard's lineup of scanners sits their Scanjet 2400. This really is a bargain offering and one of the cheapest scanners on the market at present. Novices will be well served by the simplicity and low cost of this unit.
Offices with little desk space but heavy document scanning requirements find that most flatbed scanners are just too big - and very often not designed to be carthorses. The i40 steers a different course: as an upright sheet-fed model it has a petite footprint, and it's capable of scanning 1,000 pages per day.
With the ever increasing popularity of digital photography, it wouldn't be foolish to assume that manufacturers no longer care about the loyal battalions of amateur photographers still dedicated to film. Bucking this trend is Epson whose latest scanner, the Perfection V700 Photo, is aimed squarely at these loyal devotees. They have no qualms about this; the V700 is primarily for scanning film. The fact it happens to be the best photo scanner we've ever tested is an attractive bonus.
At the top end of Epson's range of home and office scanners sits the Perfection 4990 Photo. It's big, it's expensive and it has some impressive specifications, but is it any good?
This Scanners Buying Guide will help you wade through the jargon that plagues this essential technology and show you how to pick the right scanner for your needs.
Virtualisation has long been a popular feature among Synology users - and it’s not hard to see why. The company’s modern network attached storage solutions are already capable of far more than just streamlined data storage, and with those new capabilities come with exciting possibilities.
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Join the newsletter!
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTICT Solution Architect - Canberra OpportunityNSW
- CCHR / Org. Development Business Analyst - Large Telco Contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Data Quality Management OfficerNSW
- FTFront-End DeveloperSA
- TPData AnalystQLD
- FTPHP Developer (Codeigniter / Cake)NSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTProgram Manager - Digital AND Agile essentialOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Public Sector Health ProgramQLD
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Client TechnologiesOther
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerNSW
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- CCSecurity Business AnalystVIC
- FTIntegration SpecialistACT
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- TPChange Manager - Services CatalogueQLD
- CCSenior System Engineer l Office 365,Windows 10, VMWare WorkspaceNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional Consultants - Multiple rolesACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- CCIteration Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC