Minor relief is in sight next year, when prices of memory and NAND flash will start to gradually decline. But prices will plummet big time in 2019, said Jon Erensen, research director for semiconductors at Gartner.
System Memory (RAM)
Foxconn, the Taiwanese electronics manufacturer is best known as the maker of iPhones and iPads for Apple, is said to be preparing a $27 billion bid acquire Toshiba's computer chip assets.
Intel's new Optane Memory is aimed at non-enthusiast users, but only those with at least a Core i3. Celeron- and Pentium-based PCs are out.
More DDR memory is on the way, despite many predictions that its time would soon be up.
Intel's spanking new high-capacity Optane SSD is cool, but drives from other storage vendors based on the 3D Xpoint technology could be coming later this year.
Intel debuts Optane Memory as a "revolutionary" technology that could make hard drives feel like SSDs, but enthusiasts were hoping for more.
When you look at RAM it’s easy to think that the big, beefy modules with the fancy heat-spreaders are are going to make your computer fly along. If you’re a competitive overclocker then this is probably the case and this review isn’t for you.
Corsair’s Vengeance LPX 2400MHz memory kit (Code: CMK16GX4M2A2400C16) is what we use in the PC World Test Rig. It’s designed for high performance overclocking which is beyond the needs of most users, but that won’t stop regular PC builders wanting a good kit in their system.
Intel's Optane technology is already shipping in the form of storage, but you'll have to wait until next year to buy Optane memory modules.
Most people can figure out how to install RAM sticks into their computer. If you don’t there’s a tutorial here. In short, make sure everything is off and then install the sticks to take advantage of the multiple channels on offer. Your motherboard manual will tell you which slots to put the sticks in to do this. The reason is simply that two sticks operating along two channels is faster than two sticks operating along the same channel. That’s all.
Samsung today announced a new 8GB DRAM package with 10-nanometer-class process circuitry that has twice the capacity and twice the speed of DDR4 DRAM used in PCs.
Dell Inc. announced on Tuesday a new PC that, among its other impressive specs, can be upgraded to sport as much as 192GB of ultra-fast DDR3 RAM.
Embattled German DRAM maker Qimonda will cease chip production by the end of March as it continues to seek ways to avoid liquidation.
DDR3 is the new memory standard for desktop PCs and it's currently supported by Intel's new P35 chipset for Intel CPUs. Kingston's 2GB HyperX DDR3 kit (KHX11000D3LLK2/2G) is aimed at enthusiast users.
Whatever you're doing on your PC, its taking up valuable space in your system's memory.
A new tide of demand for high-performance computer equipment is sweeping the world, as eSports becomes a major form of entertainment and spectator activity. With that, the technology supporting eSports is maturing rapidly.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Foxconn said to offer $27B for Toshiba's memory chip business
- Intel's speed-boosting Optane Memory won't work with Celeron and Pentium PCs
- Staying alive: DDR5 memory is on its way
- Micron to ship Intel Optane competitor later this year
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSolution Architect - Network Operations/Design - TelcoVIC
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)SA
- CCJava Developer / System Designer - Aus Citizens OnlyWA
- FTNetwork Engineer - CCNP - WeipaQLD
- FTMicrosoft SQL DBAVIC
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- TPOffice 365 Deployment SupportQLD
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Solutions Architect - Network & Unified ComunicationsACT
- CCBusiness Implementation Manager - Wealth AdviceNSW
- CCTibco Integration Specialist l Port MacquarieQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 2 HelpdeskVIC
- FTHR Business Analyst / Performance Management SMENSW
- CCNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTProject AnalystNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTProject Manager - InfrastructureVIC
- CCSenior Linux AdministratorNSW
- FTTelecommunications Installation ManagerSA
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- FTTest Analyst - HCMSNSW
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA