We visited Crucial's home turf to see what was coming.
System Memory (RAM)
We rocked up to Kingston and sub-brand, HyperX's suites at Computex to see what was new.
A gallery of Team Group's Computex display including specs and performance figures.
The very simple guide to what to buy
In the next year or two, Hewlett Packard Enterprise will add support for Intel Optane storage to its latest Unix servers.
Minor relief is in sight next year, when prices of memory and NAND flash will start to gradually decline. But prices will plummet big time in 2019, said Jon Erensen, research director for semiconductors at Gartner.
Foxconn, the Taiwanese electronics manufacturer is best known as the maker of iPhones and iPads for Apple, is said to be preparing a $27 billion bid acquire Toshiba's computer chip assets.
Intel's new Optane Memory is aimed at non-enthusiast users, but only those with at least a Core i3. Celeron- and Pentium-based PCs are out.
More DDR memory is on the way, despite many predictions that its time would soon be up.
Intel's spanking new high-capacity Optane SSD is cool, but drives from other storage vendors based on the 3D Xpoint technology could be coming later this year.
Intel debuts Optane Memory as a "revolutionary" technology that could make hard drives feel like SSDs, but enthusiasts were hoping for more.
When you look at RAM it’s easy to think that the big, beefy modules with the fancy heat-spreaders are are going to make your computer fly along. If you’re a competitive overclocker then this is probably the case and this review isn’t for you.
Corsair’s Vengeance LPX 2400MHz memory kit (Code: CMK16GX4M2A2400C16) is what we use in the PC World Test Rig. It’s designed for high performance overclocking which is beyond the needs of most users, but that won’t stop regular PC builders wanting a good kit in their system.
Intel's Optane technology is already shipping in the form of storage, but you'll have to wait until next year to buy Optane memory modules.
Most people can figure out how to install RAM sticks into their computer. If you don’t there’s a tutorial here. In short, make sure everything is off and then install the sticks to take advantage of the multiple channels on offer. Your motherboard manual will tell you which slots to put the sticks in to do this. The reason is simply that two sticks operating along two channels is faster than two sticks operating along the same channel. That’s all.
Top tips to finding the right security solution for your needs
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Foxconn said to offer $27B for Toshiba's memory chip business
- Intel's speed-boosting Optane Memory won't work with Celeron and Pentium PCs
- Staying alive: DDR5 memory is on its way
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ford Everest Trend RWD 3.2L Diesel review
- Ford Everest Trend in its natural habitat
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTChange & Communications Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCCognos Lead / Cognos DeveloperACT
- FTTalend DI DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTProject Finance / Finance Coordinator (NSW Government)Other
- CCPerformance Test Engineer - BrisbaneACT
- FTProject CoordinatorOther
- TPSoftware Engineer / DeveloperQLD
- CCPerformance Test Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTLead Enterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FT4 X Gun Java Developers wantedVIC
- CCAsset Management specialistNSW
- FTSearch Engine Optimisation SpecialistWA
- CCCAD GIS BIM SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Cloud Platform EngineerOther
- CCProject Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTReporting AnalystSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCAMI ArchitectWA
- CCMid-Level Business AnalystQLD
- CCService Desk Analyst - NV1 ClearanceACT