Most modern desktops and laptops have power to spare, but netbooks are notoriously pokey. Consequently, you should turn off any operating-system features that can make your Lilliputian PC even slower.
Notebooks - Tutorials
Widescreen monitors are great for watching movies and organizing windows side-by-side, but a lot of time the space goes to waste. This week I've got a great tip that's particularly applicable to laptop and netbook users: Move the Windows taskbar to t...
Want fine-grained control over the firewall built into Windows 7 and Windows Vista--especially the way it blocks outbound connections? Good luck. Even if you manage to unearth the controls buried deep in Windows menus and applications, you'll be baff...
The low price of storage means it's feasible for most laptop owners to expand the capacity of their machines. But if you're going to the bother of installing a new hard drive, why not go one better and opt for a solid-state disk (SSD) instead?
Vista received well-deserved criticism for bringing few noteworthy new features in its train when it arrived to take over from Windows XP. In contrast, Windows 7 offers plenty of new stuff to like. Fortunately, you can add many of these features to y...
Much of the excitement about Windows 7 relates to an assortment of user-interface improvements: a little eye candy here, a few window-management tweaks there. Below are some of the highlights, along with the tools you'll need to get them for your cur...
Informal speed tests show that Windows 7 boots faster than Vista, and many users have reported that it "feels" faster during everyday operation. (Maybe that's because the User Account Control is more restrained in Windows 7 than in Vista and doesn't ...
There are a variety of netbook distros out there, but you can have a little fun creating your own. Here are some software packages and tips worth considering.
Pinkston32 discovered about 20 missing or corrupt drivers messing up his system. He asked the <a href="http://forums.pcworld.com/community/troubleshooting/answerline">Answer Line forum</a> what to do.
I'm answering my own question this time: How do you configure the Places Bar in Vista's standard file dialog boxes?
As we learned last week, it's fairly easy to fix a noisy overheated laptop: Open an underside panel, (carefully) blow out the dust, then enjoy the praise your wife lavishes on you for fixing her system.
When did entertainment get so complicated? So many files, and so many formats. Our no-hassle tips for iTunes music and digital video will let you play what you want, where you want, on any device you own. We'll also show you how to enjoy and share yo...
These easy tips will help you clear your system of clutter, improve its performance, and keep it free from malware and other security threats. You can also protect your kids through safe search software and a time management device.
George needs advice about document compatibility between Microsoft Word 2003 and 2007
In some respects, life as a laptop-carrying frequent flyer has gotten a little easier.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on: MSI's GT75VR Titan brings high-end HDR display tech to a gaming laptop
- Hands-on: How the Asus ROG GX501 Zephyrus performs with Nvidia's Max-Q technology
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Google WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCPalo Alto Network Security Expert - BRISBANENSW
- FTSenior Contracts Administrator- Construction BackgroundOther
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPChange Analyst - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- FTNetwork ArchitectNSW
- TPData AnalystACT
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTC# & ASP.Net / Web Front End DeveloperOther
- CCResource Management Project ManagerQLD
- CCDesktop Support EngineerVIC
- FTLead UI / UX and Digital DesignerQLD
- TPAPS 6 Business AnalystACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - BI, Analytics & Big DataOther
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Banking SolutionsOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTApplication SupportOther
- TPSenior Communications ManagerACT
- CCTraining specialistNSW
- CCFinancial ModelerACT
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCJunior Business AnalystWA
- FTSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonOther
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem EngineerNSW