Widescreen monitors are great for watching movies and organizing windows side-by-side, but a lot of time the space goes to waste. This week I've got a great tip that's particularly applicable to laptop and netbook users: Move the Windows taskbar to t...
Notebooks - Tutorials
Want fine-grained control over the firewall built into Windows 7 and Windows Vista--especially the way it blocks outbound connections? Good luck. Even if you manage to unearth the controls buried deep in Windows menus and applications, you'll be baff...
The low price of storage means it's feasible for most laptop owners to expand the capacity of their machines. But if you're going to the bother of installing a new hard drive, why not go one better and opt for a solid-state disk (SSD) instead?
Vista received well-deserved criticism for bringing few noteworthy new features in its train when it arrived to take over from Windows XP. In contrast, Windows 7 offers plenty of new stuff to like. Fortunately, you can add many of these features to y...
Much of the excitement about Windows 7 relates to an assortment of user-interface improvements: a little eye candy here, a few window-management tweaks there. Below are some of the highlights, along with the tools you'll need to get them for your cur...
Informal speed tests show that Windows 7 boots faster than Vista, and many users have reported that it "feels" faster during everyday operation. (Maybe that's because the User Account Control is more restrained in Windows 7 than in Vista and doesn't ...
There are a variety of netbook distros out there, but you can have a little fun creating your own. Here are some software packages and tips worth considering.
Pinkston32 discovered about 20 missing or corrupt drivers messing up his system. He asked the <a href="http://forums.pcworld.com/community/troubleshooting/answerline">Answer Line forum</a> what to do.
I'm answering my own question this time: How do you configure the Places Bar in Vista's standard file dialog boxes?
As we learned last week, it's fairly easy to fix a noisy overheated laptop: Open an underside panel, (carefully) blow out the dust, then enjoy the praise your wife lavishes on you for fixing her system.
When did entertainment get so complicated? So many files, and so many formats. Our no-hassle tips for iTunes music and digital video will let you play what you want, where you want, on any device you own. We'll also show you how to enjoy and share yo...
These easy tips will help you clear your system of clutter, improve its performance, and keep it free from malware and other security threats. You can also protect your kids through safe search software and a time management device.
George needs advice about document compatibility between Microsoft Word 2003 and 2007
In some respects, life as a laptop-carrying frequent flyer has gotten a little easier.
Computer boo-boos happen all the time. Just this morning, an accidental graze of my laptop's touchpad inadvertently selected a big chunk of text in Word--which I then overwrote as I continued typing on autopilot.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10's power-throttling feature will benefit battery-hungry laptops
- Microsoft's next Surface may be a Chromebook competitor for schools
- US says laptop ban may expand to more airports
- Intel's Cannonlake PC chip shipments may slip into next year
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPLevel 2/3 Desktop Support AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaACT
- CCSystems Engineer - WintelQLD
- FTTechnical SpecialistACT
- TPSenior Project Officer HSQQLD
- FTSecurity and Technical Risk ManagerQLD
- FTProject Manager- RiskSA
- CCTechnical ConsutlantACT
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Functional Analyst - FinanceQLD
- FTInfrastructure Architect - UrgentSA
- FTLevel 2 HelpdeskVIC
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCIT SAS Visual Analytics DeveloperVIC
- FTOracle Database Administrator (DBA)SA
- FTMobile Studio Manager/ Mobile UX Manager - GAME CHANGER!NSW
- FTSAP Fiori Technical SpecialistsACT
- FTPayroll Systems AnalystQLD
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCSystems Specialist - Network Systems l Port MacquarieNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Mobile ApplicationsQLD
- FTHelpdesk SupportNSW
- FTSystems Engineer | MSP backgroundVIC