When your eyes catch sight of Sony's latest desktop replacement-style Sony VAIO CB Series laptops, you'll probably go blind. The CB Series is the most colourful we've seen to date and it stands out like no-one's business. And we're not talking dull c...
Notebooks - Reviews
Business users with an eye for style and a need for speed will love the Sony VAIO SB Series (VPCSB16FG). It's a 13.3in notebook that runs Intel's 2nd Generation Core i5 CPU (otherwise known as Sandy Bridge), so you know it's very fast, and it also ha...
One of the first notebooks to pass through our Test Centre using Intel's 2nd Generation Core i5 CPU is Dell's Latitude E5520. It will be available to Australian buyers from the middle of March and businesses looking for fast notebooks to deploy to th...
The Dell XPS 15 (L501x) is a notebook that competes with the Apple Macbook Pro. It has a 15.6in, Full HD (1080p) screen, an Intel Core i7 processor, a fast 640GB hard drive and all the trimmings. It's not as attractive or as well-built as an Apple la...
Acer's Aspire 5742G is a 15.6in laptop that's big, but not all that heavy. It weighs only 2.4kg and it actually feels light when you hold it in your hands. It's a well-balanced notebook with a nice design, it performed well in our tests, and it has g...
One thing is certain when reviewing a Sony VAIO laptop: lots of people will come up to us and tell us how nice it looks. And we're not going to argue. The Sony VAIO YB Series (VPCYB16KG) ultraportable laptop (or sub-notebook) sure does look good with...
For $999, the Dell Inspiron M501R is a 15in laptop that's packed with useful features and lots of processing power for multitasking. It runs a 2.2GHz AMD Phenom II N850 triple-core CPU, has 4GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive as well as AMD Mobility Radeo...
The HP EliteBook 8740W is a mobile workstation with a quad-core Intel Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro graphics adapter. It's designed for professionals, such as engineers, architects and graphics artists who need plenty of grunt under th...
The Toshiba NB550D is a netbook unlike many of the netbooks that have come before it. It has a 10.1in glossy screen like most other netbooks on the market, but instead of running an Intel Atom CPU, the NB 550D is based on the AMD Fusion APU (accelera...
The Fujitsu LifeBook TH550 is a 10.1in tablet-convertible notebook PC that's slightly bigger than a netbook, but it's nothing like a netbook tablet device — it's much, much better.
Medion's Akoya E7216 (MD98550) laptop offers great performance and lots of features for a very competitive price. You pay only $799, but you get an Intel Core i3-equipped notebook with lots of modern connections, including HDMI, DisplayPort and USB 3...
The Dell Inspiron M101z laptop is an 11.6in, 1.55kg ultraportable model that's suitable for travellers or students who want something affordable, small and easy to transport. It's not very powerful, but its AMD Athlon II Neo K125 CPU has enough grunt...
After hearing so much about RIM's PlayBook it was good to get the opportunity to take this one for a spin, and while I certainly see what the fuss is about the device still faces hurdles ahead.
The small and light Sony VAIO Y Series (VPCYA15FGB) is a desirable ultraportable notebook for anyone who travels a lot -- it's only about an inch and a half bigger than a typical netbook.
Motorola has unveiled its highly anticipated tablet: the Xoom. The Motorola Xoom is equipped with a 10.1in touchscreen and runs the latest version of Google's Android software: 3.0 or 'Honeycomb'.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10's power-throttling feature will benefit battery-hungry laptops
- Microsoft's next Surface may be a Chromebook competitor for schools
- US says laptop ban may expand to more airports
- Intel's Cannonlake PC chip shipments may slip into next year
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTBusiness Analysis | Business Case | ProcurementVIC
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM Technical ConsultantVIC
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)QLD
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)SA
- FTNetwork Solution Architect - PresalesNSW
- FTData Analyst - GISQLD
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- FTOracle E-Business Functional ConsultantVIC
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Audio Visual/Video DomainVIC
- CCA/V OfficerNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsVIC
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerACT
- FTSenior / Lead iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTCitrix Engineer/Designer - AWS experience essentialNSW
- FTTeam AssistantVIC
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- TPEOI - Developer/Tester/Software EngineerACT
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTFront End Web DeveloperACT