We've already looked at the best dual-mode VoIP phones currently on the market, but there's still a confusing array of voice over IP service options. Like traditional telephony, VoIP isn't limited to a single provider.
Networking, Wireless & VoIP - Features
VoIP services are rapidly becoming the bread and butter of enterprise voice networks, as roughly 72 per cent of all enterprise voice lines shipped by vendors in 2007 were IP-capable. Now that companies are definitively moving away from the traditiona...
With many Australians considering ditching the traditional landline in favour of either naked DSL or mobile telephony, it seems that heavier use of VoIP -- voice over Internet Protocol -- is all but inevitable. However, some people aren't ready to pu...
In a high-tech twist of irony, the Internet engineering community is adding a feature to IPv6 that the upgrade to the Internet's main communications protocol was supposed to eliminate.
Calling all digital nomads -- you may not be wearing a dark suit, a tie and shiny shoes, but you're out there with at least a full day of work to get done. Chances are that, more times than not, your workspace is a table at Starbucks, a hotel lobby c...
Different approaches to wireless Internet access in San Francisco and neighboring Silicon Valley are producing very different results, with one project springing up around the city and the other inching through regulatory procedures.
Field Day lets ham radio operators prep for disaster.
Normally, in a time of crisis, an "amateur" is not the first person you might call. But when communications networks go down, amateur radio operators -- or hams -- and their gear can get communities connected to the outside world via the radio waves.
Though sometimes it's hard to pin down exactly who deserves the credit — or blame — here's a shot a some of the more familiar terms.
Faster and farther-reaching networking are just a couple of the advantages of an 802.11 draft-n based wireless network, so if you're in the market for a new wireless router, you should ensure that you get one that's capable of running the latest stan...
Finally, the wait is over. Australians can get their hands on Apple's newest iPhone when it launches on 11 July. The good news is, the iPhone 3G has more features and capabilities than the original model.
I'm a big fan of wireless mice, and at home -- where my only PCs are notebooks -- I've been using wireless optical notebook mice for years. All use a dongle, and while the dongles have been getting smaller, they're prone to breakage and sometimes I j...
Increasingly, the world is becoming wireless. At home, at work, and on the road, you'll often connect to Wi-Fi networks and hotspots for Internet access. But doing so isn't always simple. You can use some assistance in finding and connecting to hotsp...
Network security can be a thorny issue for small businesses because they generally lack pricey equipment and dedicated IT people who have the expertise to lock down a local area network. But addressing security is nevertheless essential: Just one cus...
One of the challenges in mobile computing is battery life. It's hard to be productive with a dead battery, so IT personnel and users alike need to think about maximising run time between charges.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCSeeking a Perl Developer for a 5-10 Day Project!NSW
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- CCC++ DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- FTManual TesterACT
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCJava Developer - Integration - BrisbneNSW
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- TPAssistant Change Manager | System Implementation ProjectQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTField Technician - Radio communication serviceACT
- CCIT Systems Administrator-Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- FTlevel 2/3 SupportVIC