The Toshiba SDP92SKY is a portable DVD player with a swivelling 9in LCD screen. It comes with a smattering of intriguing features, including DivX media support, an AV input connection and an SD card slot for playback of video files, MP3s and photos. Unfortunately, it’s also a bit on the pricey side compared to other portable DVD players, without much to justify the extra premium. Simply put, there are cheaper models on the block that do a similar job.
Portable DVD Players
The Panasonic DMP-B15 is the world’s first portable Blu-ray player. It combines an 8.9in LCD screen and a BD optical drive in a (semi) portable package. It also doubles as a player for the home, complete with YouTube functionality and BD-Live support -- not too shabby for a portable device.
Toshiba’s SD-P91SKY is a portable DVD player that does not have the resolution of more expensive units, but instead focuses on extra functionality.
LG's DP392G is designed for use both in the home and on the move, incorporating the features and styling of a digital photo frame into a portable DVD player. It handles both roles admirably, only being hampered by the lack of a screen cover.
Teac's DVP904 is a budget portable DVD player, although it also features an external audio and video input. As a DVD player for in-car use it works well, thanks to the 9in screen and competent stereo speakers. The system is compromised by a noisy DVD drive and a pair of headphone outputs that suffer from a lot of electrical interference.
The DVP-FX720 is the latest portable DVD offering from Sony, and has a good range of input and output options at a very competitive price. Though it doesn't have the higher-resolution screen of Sony's premium model the video quality is still good, and the unit includes a connector for composite video output. The in-built speakers are relatively poor, but that is to be expected in a portable player.
Toshiba's SD-P1900 is a mid-range portable DVD player. It lacks the resolution and video quality of high-end models, but comes at a reasonable price and delivers a solid functionality, without any major flaws. Video quality is satisfactory, although the inbuilt speakers are slightly disappointing. Nevertheless, the P1900 is generally quite serviceable, and while it's not the highest quality portable DVD player available, it's a suitable mid-range unit.
Toshiba's SD-P2900 is the company's flagship portable DVD player. With a 10.2in screen, 800x480 resolution and a jam packed feature list, it's quite a respectable model. The high price tag is its biggest drawback, but for users looking for everything it offers, it's a very solid option. Video quality is generally pretty good, although we did have some issues with the audio.
The Panasonic DVD-LS80 is a portable DVD player with an 8.5in LCD screen. It offers basic functionality, as well as the ability to play back DivX files, but the image quality is fairly poor and only suitable for casual viewing by those that don't know any better.
We have reviewed a number of portable DVD players in the past and they have always walked a fine line between functionality and design that tends to lean toward design at the expense of quality playback. The Grundig DVD-P7004 doesn't walk the line but instead misses it completely.
Portable DVD players take your DVDs out of the lounge room and into cars, trains, buses, parks ... in fact, anywhere you go.
Is your IT system growing at pace with your business? Here are 5 reasons why you should consider the move to Cloud ERP now.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
PCW Evaluation Team
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer | $90 p/hrVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyQLD
- TPArcGIS DeveloperVIC
- TPNetwork and Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTDeployment Engineer / Field Service EngineerQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCMaster SchedulerACT
- FTProject Manager / Web DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- FTEnterprise Security ArchitectQLD
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence / Datawarehouse DeveloperSA
- TPDatawarehouse Test AnalystSA
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC