Apple has slashed the prices of its premium iPod Touch by up to 25 per cent and updated the feature set of its introductory 16GB model.
MP3 Player & iPod Accessories
Sony unveiled its new high-resolution audio player, the NWZ-ZX1. The Walkman-branded player was showcased by Sony's chief sound engineer Kaji Nageno at a launch event held at Sydney’s Ivy.
Logitech's UE Air Speaker uses Apple's wireless AirPlay technology to play streamed music from a compatible iOS device. The UE Air is a large, but good looking speaker system that's ridiculously easy to set up and use, but its sound quality is a little disappointing considering its price tag.
The Veho Mimi Qube Wi-Fi speaker is a simple solution for distributing audio from your computer to any part of your home or office. It ships with a wireless adapter that also acts as a sound card and transmits all audio from your computer to wherever the little Veho speaker lies. It's very easy to install -- we tested on a Windows 7 system and didn't have to contend with any drivers at all.
Razer's Ferox is a portable speaker set aimed at portable gaming systems like the DS and the PSP; it'll work with just about any device with a headphone jack though, like MP3 and portable DVD players.
The Revo Ikon is an iPod docking station with a built-in digital radio tuner, as well as built-in networking connections that allow you to receive Internet radio and stream music from your computers. It has two 15W speakers and a 3.5in touch screen interface, but it is a small and hard-to-use interface, and the dock overall could use a better physical design.
The Pure Avanti Flow is a tabletop digital radio that can also receive FM and Internet radio broadcasts as well as play music from your iPod and networked computer. It's best suited to a small room where its relatively low maximum volume won't be a problem, and its awkward shape makes it difficult to place on bookshelves. However, for listening to multiple music sources it's a great device.
Some speakers are destined to blend discreetly into your environment. Not so the Harman Kardon GLA-55, whose multi-faceted-diamond looks are positively shouting for attention.
The Cygnett Micro is a re-chargeable portable speaker from Cygnett that can be used with iPods, MP3 players and mobile phones.
The Pure One Elite is a digital radio with a neo-retro design and a very reasonable price tag.
The TDK iWave is a 2.1 stereo audio system and iPod dock with a remote control. It uses two 5 Watt speakers and a 10W subwoofer, and these deliver great sound.
The TDK iClassic speaker system is a cheap, entry-level iPod dock. However don’t expect too much from the iClassic; you get what you pay for in terms of sound quality.
The Plantronics Explorer 395 is a good-looking, easy-to-use Bluetooth headset that is obviously designed (and priced) for the casual user -- somebody who wants to be able to do hands-free calling but doesn't need to be glued to a mobile phone.
Apple will shut down its Lala online music streaming service on May 31. The move comes just five months after Apple bought Lala for an undisclosed price. Could this indicate Apple is serious about opening up a Web-based version of iTunes software-based storefront based on the Lala platform? Some speculate Apple may announce a Web-based version of iTunes this June at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference.
For the last couple of weeks, I've been running with a new gadget: Adidas' miCoach Pacer, a set of three small devices that combine audio coaching with a stride sensor and a heart-rate monitor. There's a lot to like about the miCoach Pacer, but a buggy Web site and the lack of native application support undermine what otherwise could be a very useful tool.
Work / Life balance, Windows 10 allows you to get the best of both worlds.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Plantronics Explorer 395 - a Bluetooth headset for everyday use
- Apple's shutdown of Lala Fuel rumors of Web-based iTunes
- On the run with Adidas' miCoach Pacer
- Panasonic reports $4bn loss
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- CCOrganisational Change LeadNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Netapp/Windows)NSW
- FTTIBCO Support Analyst - PERM DESKVIC
- FTProject Coordinator ($280-$300 per day)NSW
- FTProduct Manager - Machine To MachineVIC
- FTService Desk - Level 1 SupportVIC
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)WA
- CCSenior Devops EngineerVIC
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystQLD
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTMobile Studio Lead/ Mobile UX LeadNSW
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- TPSecurity Controls Specialist - ISO 27002VIC
- TPPMO LeadNSW
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Infrastructure / LogisticsNSW