VR is no gimmick and it’s thriving among early adopters: both in the world of powerful computers with the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and also in the phone-based space where almost any modern phone is a potential VR gateway.
Rachel likes travelling to obscure places and party places alike. She needs her tech to get about and communicate whether its exploring caves, diving with Whale Sharks, rallying across Eastern Europe, partying at South American carnivals, eating insects in Asia, cavorting in fountains in Europe or relaxing in hot mud in South America.
Introducing Roving Rachel our new techie travel writer. A candidate for having the best job in the world, she reports on some of the best adventure destinations on the planet, the best festivals and the best ways to get there – all while discussing the technology, apps and services she uses and encounters along the way.
Optus has launched its new mobile payment facility, Cash by Optus, whereby customers with compatible smartphones can make contactless purchases under $100.
Selfie sticks undoubtedly get you a great selfie angle. But which stick is for you?
You'll be shocked, but inside it's mostly battery.
Apple's Pencil, designed specifically to work with the iPad Pro, is still scarce. But for half the cost of Apple's stylus, you can get FiftyThree's Pencil, which works well with Apple's new tablet.
Portable keyboards for mobile devices tend to come in either rigid and foldable or rubbery and rollup forms. LG Electronics is launching one that's a bit of both.
Imation's Link Power Drive serves double duty as an external, on-the-go storage device and portable battery charger for an iPhone. It comes in useful when you want to carry extra music and video files with you, which you can then play directly off the drive; at the flick of a switch, you can then use the drive to charge the iPhone's battery.
Mophie's Juice Pack Plus case for the iPhone 6 makes the phone bigger and heavier, but it provides the thing we all crave most: extra battery life. Using the Mophie case, you can run the iPhone 6 for over twice as long as you're used to before having to plug it back in and recharge.
Samsung Australia has postponed the release of its Gear VR in what is the third delay for its range of Galaxy Note devices.
Sony is one of a few companies with an ecosystem rich in entertainment gear. Now the company has partnered with Telstra to release the wearable SmartBand SWR10.
Simple music, that’s what Sony’s SRS-X5 is about. The speaker uses Bluetooth technology for the wireless playback of music, while NFC technology enables pairing with the tap of a smartphone or tablet.
Renditions of ‘smart’ watches from Samsung and Sony are best qualified as gimmicks because they don’t satisfy a clear need. Commendation deserves to be dished out for the sheer variety of features these things have. But for all their bells and whistles, I have never looked at my wrist and thought to myself “I wish i was wearing a computer”.
Just when you thought the portable Bluetooth speaker market was brimming with a range of fantastic products, Braven weighs in with an entrant so well equipped, it could shake things up.
Singing praises about a device that literally ‘sings’ – find out what this is all about.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- iFixit tears down Apple's Smart Battery Case
- LG rolls out rollable keyboard without the rubbery feel
- Like Note 4 and Note Edge, Samsung delays Gear VR
- Telstra adds Sony wearable to its range of contract products
PCW Evaluation Team
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTImplementation Engineer - NetApp DATA ONTAPWA
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTSalesforce Marketing ConsultantNSW
- CCConsultant - Hogan Health CheckQLD
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTNodeJS and AngularJS DeveloperQLD
- FTICT SpecialistNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCSolution Designer with PEGA experience- TelcoVIC
- FTICT Transformation Integration ManagerNSW
- TPDelivery Coordinator - ProjectsQLD
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- CCState-wide Business Transition LeadQLD
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsACT
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTHR Learning Management ExpertNSW
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- CCTesting Manager - Energy sectorVIC