VR is no gimmick and it’s thriving among early adopters: both in the world of powerful computers with the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and also in the phone-based space where almost any modern phone is a potential VR gateway.
Rachel likes travelling to obscure places and party places alike. She needs her tech to get about and communicate whether its exploring caves, diving with Whale Sharks, rallying across Eastern Europe, partying at South American carnivals, eating insects in Asia, cavorting in fountains in Europe or relaxing in hot mud in South America.
Introducing Roving Rachel our new techie travel writer. A candidate for having the best job in the world, she reports on some of the best adventure destinations on the planet, the best festivals and the best ways to get there – all while discussing the technology, apps and services she uses and encounters along the way.
Optus has launched its new mobile payment facility, Cash by Optus, whereby customers with compatible smartphones can make contactless purchases under $100.
Selfie sticks undoubtedly get you a great selfie angle. But which stick is for you?
You'll be shocked, but inside it's mostly battery.
Apple's Pencil, designed specifically to work with the iPad Pro, is still scarce. But for half the cost of Apple's stylus, you can get FiftyThree's Pencil, which works well with Apple's new tablet.
Portable keyboards for mobile devices tend to come in either rigid and foldable or rubbery and rollup forms. LG Electronics is launching one that's a bit of both.
Imation's Link Power Drive serves double duty as an external, on-the-go storage device and portable battery charger for an iPhone. It comes in useful when you want to carry extra music and video files with you, which you can then play directly off the drive; at the flick of a switch, you can then use the drive to charge the iPhone's battery.
Mophie's Juice Pack Plus case for the iPhone 6 makes the phone bigger and heavier, but it provides the thing we all crave most: extra battery life. Using the Mophie case, you can run the iPhone 6 for over twice as long as you're used to before having to plug it back in and recharge.
Samsung Australia has postponed the release of its Gear VR in what is the third delay for its range of Galaxy Note devices.
Sony is one of a few companies with an ecosystem rich in entertainment gear. Now the company has partnered with Telstra to release the wearable SmartBand SWR10.
Simple music, that’s what Sony’s SRS-X5 is about. The speaker uses Bluetooth technology for the wireless playback of music, while NFC technology enables pairing with the tap of a smartphone or tablet.
Renditions of ‘smart’ watches from Samsung and Sony are best qualified as gimmicks because they don’t satisfy a clear need. Commendation deserves to be dished out for the sheer variety of features these things have. But for all their bells and whistles, I have never looked at my wrist and thought to myself “I wish i was wearing a computer”.
Just when you thought the portable Bluetooth speaker market was brimming with a range of fantastic products, Braven weighs in with an entrant so well equipped, it could shake things up.
With no financial or accounting background it can be tricky for small business owners to get on top of their financials. Reckon One can help you overcome this challenge.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- iFixit tears down Apple's Smart Battery Case
- LG rolls out rollable keyboard without the rubbery feel
- Like Note 4 and Note Edge, Samsung delays Gear VR
- Telstra adds Sony wearable to its range of contract products
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTAppian DeveloperQLD
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Regulatory Reforms, FinanceNSW
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Unix/Linux EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTIT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTLooking for Software TestersACT
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- CCMaster SchedulerACT
- FTSupport Engineer Level 3QLD
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- TPETL DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsNSW
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC