The Playbase fits conveniently under your TV, but it’s not the best home theater speaker we’ve heard.
The guts of Onkyo's SBT-A500 sound bar come in an external box to give the speaker an ultra-low profile
Onkyo's ultra-low profile soundbar and wireless subwoofer will support Dolby Atmos, DTS Play-Fi, Apple AirPlay, and all the streaming services you know and love.
If you love going to the movies or live sporting events, but could do without high ticket and concession prices — not to mention babysitting costs — it’s time to create your own in-home entertainment center. A home entertainment room doesn’t have to compromise your traditional theatre or sports venue experience, either. Simply dedicate the bulk of your remodelling budget to replicating the elements that make the theatre or in-person experience so enjoyable: a large screen, quality audio, and big, comfortable seats.
Movies are a place where we are willing to believe anything. They are a place where literally anything can happen: intergalactic travel, upside down worlds, dinosaur theme parks, time travel, hoverboards. Anything you could possibly imagine.
We’ve tested most of the TVs on the market recently and were keen to see how an “affordable” Home Theatre projector compared in day to day usage. Would it really be a viable TV-alternative for an Aussie home? Or does it only operate optimally in a cinema environment?
Sharp has approved an offer from Hon Hai Precision Industry and related companies to acquire over 66 per cent of the company’s voting stock, making the Taiwanese contract manufacturer the new parent of the venerable Japanese firm.
Orb Audio Complete Home Theater System review: A pint-sized, upgradeable music and home-theater marvel
Astonishingly good sound for the price, even though the A/V receiver is a bare-bones model.
Yamaha YHT-5920UBL review: If streaming audio is your focus, this home theater in a box has you covered
This well-priced product will sound better than your HDTV’s built-in speakers, but it's certainly not a high-end system.
We review systems from Orb Audio, Onkyo, and Yamaha, each priced less than $1000.
Samsung's 2014 range of televisions will have larger screens that don a curve and support the next generation of Ultra high-definition content. These televisions will be upgradable through the use of an evolution kit and communicate with new wireless and modular speakers.
Samsung proudly showcased its next generation of products in Bali at the Samsung Forum 2014. On display was a curved television that had UHD resolution, a new mirrorless camera, the line up of powerful Pro tablets and much, much more.
Samsung’s best home-theatre-in-a-box is a smart way to boost the volume, sound quality and power of your TV’s sound system, and it’s versatile even if it won’t compare to a proper home cinema system.
Libratone is a small Danish audio company with three products: the mini Zipp, the midi Live and the maxi Lounge. Each speaker is exceedingly simple -- no volume controls or superfluous buttons, minimalist designs with exacting construction. They’re marketed at buyers who love their iPhones, iPads and iPods, and want to share their music.
LG makes a full 22 home theatre systems, ranging from single-speaker soundbars to room-dominating ‘3D’ surround sound setups. The BH7520TW is the second best model in the LG home theatre line-up, beaten only by the similar BH9520TW.
Sonos is a pioneer in the wireless audio market -- its entire focus is on simple, powerful, high-quality music systems that connect over a home Wi-Fi network, access a huge range of music services, and allow control from a smartphone. The Sonos SUB is the latest addition to the line-up, and is designed to complement existing speakers with extra bass power.
Singing praises about a device that literally ‘sings’ – find out what this is all about.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- The guts of Onkyo's SBT-A500 sound bar come in an external box to give the speaker an ultra-low profile
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- What you need to know about Samsung's 2014 TVs
- Ericsson responsible for State of Origin 3D broadcast tech
- Asus launches new HTPC motherboards
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior IT Project ManagerSA
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- CCSolution Architect/ Technical LeadQLD
- CCDesigner - Salesforce Marketing CloudVIC
- CCSplunk - Technical AnalystVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTWEB DesignerQLD
- FTSoftware Development ManagerACT
- CCProject Manager Information ManagementQLD
- FTData Analyst - SASNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- TPData Migration LeadNSW
- TPNode.js DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- CCSQL Server Database Specialist l Bathurst LocationNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT