Soniq’s 23in HD LED LCD TV/DVD combo is a good deal if you’re after a spare TV and media player for anywhere in the home, and you don’t want to pay more than a couple of hundred bucks for one.
The Panasonic DMR-XW480 is a high-end, 500GB DVD recorder with dual HD digital tuners that allow you to record two TV channels simultaneously. Other highlights include high-definition video recording, a seven-day Electronic Program Guide (EPG) and access to popular Web sites like YouTube via an Ethernet connection. It's essentially a PVR with an inbuilt DVD recorder and added Web functionality.
The LG HR558D is a 3D Blu-ray player/250GB PVR combo with twin digital HD television tuners. The LG HR558D also comes with integrated Wi-Fi (802.11n) and a front-mounted USB port with DivX HD support. In other words, it provides the functionality of a PVR, a 3D Blu-ray player, a set-top box and a media streamer -- all in one lightweight device.
The Sony RDR-HDC100 is a high-definition HDD/DVD recorder that doubles as a personal video recorder (PVR). It comes with an inbuilt digital TV tuner and a 160GB hard drive that can store up to 270 hours of video content. The Sony RDR-HDC100 is a reasonable choice for multimedia enthusiasts who want a fuss-free video recorder. It boasts a user-friendly interface and plenty of codec support, including DivX. However, the lack of twin TV tuners or fast DVD dubbing reduces the appeal significantly, especially given the asking price.
The Sony RDR-HDC300 is a high-definition HDD/DVD recorder with a 320GB hard drive. It slots in-between the Sony RDR-HDC 100 (120GB) and Sony RDR-HDC500 (500GB) in the company's PVR line-up. Apart from hard drive capacity, all three models are essentially the same.
The LG HR599D is a high-definition HDD recorder with a 500GB hard drive, twin digital HD television tuners and the ability to play Blu-ray discs. The HR599D Twin HD Recorder / Blu-ray Disc Combo also comes with integrated Wi-Fi (802.11n) and a front-mounted USB port with DivX support. In other words, it provides the functionality of a PVR, a Blu-ray player and a media streamer -- all in one sleek looking device.
The Sony RDR-HDC500 (AKA Sony RDR-DC 505) is an HDD/DVD recorder with a 500GB hard drive capable of recording in Full HD.
Panasonic's DMR-XW350 is a high-end DVD recorder that slots somewhere between the DMR-XW450 and DMR-EX79 in the company's digital video recorder (DVR) line-up.
It's been on the market for more than 12 months but Foxtel's iQ2 digital video recorder (DVR) continues to become more useful, with Foxtel adding new HD channels to its arsenal.
The Toshiba SDP92SKY is a portable DVD player with a swivelling 9in LCD screen. It comes with a smattering of intriguing features, including DivX media support, an AV input connection and an SD card slot for playback of video files, MP3s and photos. Unfortunately, it’s also a bit on the pricey side compared to other portable DVD players, without much to justify the extra premium. Simply put, there are cheaper models on the block that do a similar job.
Toshiba has accused Imation and a number of other firms that manufacture and distribute recordable DVDs of infringing its copyright.
Move over VHS. The time has well and truly arrived for hard disk drive recorders.
DVD/VCR combo drives give you the best of both worlds. Read on to find the right one for your needs.
Portable DVD players take your DVDs out of the lounge room and into cars, trains, buses, parks ... in fact, anywhere you go.
Need a collaboration tool for the modern office environment? Read this senior executive's review to find out more!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTRobotic Process Automation DeveloperOther
- TPProcess AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Solutions ArchitectOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project OfficerQLD
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior UX Service DesignerACT
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- CCUser Experience DesignerACT
- FTBid ManagerOther
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- FTTeam Lead, Asset Mgmt & OperationsOther
- FTCoach, Lean Startup & Design Thinking approachOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst (x2)NSW
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTField Engineers - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- TPJava DeveloperWA