Microsoft will finish Windows 7 a week from today and declare the operating system ready for "release to manufacturing," several Web sites have reported.
Desktop PCs - News
Demand for the next generation DRAM chip, DDR3 (double data rate, third generation), has spiked recently as systems makers turn to it for increased power efficiency and performance.
Psystar, the Mac clone maker embroiled in a legal dispute with Apple, asked a federal judge last week to dismiss its bankruptcy case, saying that it had been unable to reach a payment agreement with its law firm.
Microsoft will offer a multi-license "family pack" for Windows 7, according to a pair of bloggers who cite details in the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) of a recently-leaked build.
Consumers running Windows Vista Ultimate, who have blasted Microsoft for breaking promises to deliver a host of extras, are now knocking the company's upgrade plans and discount pricing for Windows 7.
Dell and Hewlett-Packard (HP) were criticized by Greenpeace for not implementing their product recycling services properly in India.
Greenpeace International on Wednesday criticized some major PC makers for backtracking on commitments to reduce hazardous substances in hardware.
Some small PC makers are paying a price for Windows 7 upgrades, but they have given a vote of confidence to the OS as it could deliver more profits by attracting buyers to purchase new systems.
Microsoft's Windows 7 Beta will start to spontaneously reboot every two hours beginning on Wednesday, the company has warned users.
Microsoft's limit on the number of computers eligible for free Windows 7 upgrades is "artificial" and "silly," an analyst said today, and may create just the situation the company hoped to avoid: stalled PC sales.
European customers will pay up to twice as much for Windows 7 compared to U.S. users, even though the new operating system will ship without a browser in Europe, according to Microsoft.
A long-awaited PC upgrade cycle among small and medium-sized businesses may lie just around the corner, according to an executive at a Taiwanese hardware maker.
Microsoft and online retailers today kicked off Windows 7 sales in the U.S., Canada and Japan, taking pre-orders at prices discounted by as much as 58 per cent.
Starting today, businesses and consumers who purchase copies of Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate will be assured of an upgrade to Windows 7 at little or no cost, when the latter is released later this year.
Enterprises ready to restock with new PCs and take advantage of Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program might find the cost savings to be less than originally thought.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Join the newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Intel's modular Compute Card puts a PC in your pocket
- Dell’s Inspiron 27 7000 is the first Ryzen All-in-One PC, and it's upgradable too
- Nvidia's new generation of powerful GeForce GTX Battlebox PCs finally embraces AMD
- The Pi Desktop kit transforms your Raspberry Pi into a stylish, SSD-powered mini-PC
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ford Everest Trend RWD 3.2L Diesel review
- Ford Everest Trend in its natural habitat
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer | Data Feeds | AI & AutomationOther
- FTSenior PHP ProgrammerSA
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- CCRobotics Automation Designer (Pega) - Contract - Financial Services - SydneyNSW
- FTSOE EngineerOther
- FTGraphic Designer (Print + Digital)Other
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business Analyst - 2 Yr Fixed TermVIC
- FTVMware Administrator- VCP certificationOther
- FTSenior Security Analyst - TelecommunicationsOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTAutomation TesterVIC
- FTNetwork ArchitectNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTNetwork Consulting ArchitectVIC
- CCSAP ISU - DM ConsultantVIC
- FTJunior Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTSenior PHP ProgrammerSA
- FTProject Coordinator - DigitalOther
- FTGraduate IT Help Desk / Service Desk AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Lead Front-endNSW
- CCFleet Management System SpecialistQLD