An analysis by Telstra has revealed that a small number of its customers with NBN services were on broadband plans with maximum speeds that were not achievable.
Australia continues to lose ground in the global broadband connection speed race.
Labor’s broadband spokesperson, Michelle Rowland, has accused the government of suppressing unflattering information about the NBN, citing its refusal to release redacted portions of the 2013 strategic review into the National Broadband Network.
Australian broadband network, nbn, has reported an EBITDA loss of $1.6 billion for the year ending June 30, compared to $1.1 billion the same time last year.
NBN. Three letters so disliked even my own laptop keys are beginning to protest the frequency of their use, sticking under the weight of my tired, tired hands.
The UK’s Computer Weekly reports that, on Monday, The Australian High Commission in the UK held an event for UK startups, called “The Australian technology and innovation forum” which hoped to attract UK innovators and startups should Brexit happen.
Cisco’s internet traffic forecast describes a sobering explosion of traffic growth and exposes government nbn plans as woefully inadequate
Cisco has delivered its annual Visual Networking Index internet traffic forecast which predicts traffic growth going out to 2020. Previous forecasts have been within 10% accuracy but it was noted that the 2010 prediction figures for 2015 were within 0.2% accuracy.
Many people continue to call for Labor to order a Royal Commission into the NBN should they return to power. It’s not surprising why… the $36bn FttH national rollout has turned into a $60bn failed upgrade to the existing copper network with many questionable individuals getting rich along the way. Furthermore, the justifications for doing this have been grounded in so much misinformation, incompetence and downright lies, that some decisions defy reality.
Until now, the controversy over the relative merits of various approaches to implementing a broadband network has been conducted in terms of FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) against FTTN (Fibre to the Node), mainly on the grounds that fibre to the node is cheaper and quicker to install. But from now on, it could be more illuminating if we contrast fibre to the node with a newer entrant, fibre to the delivery point, or more colloquially, fibre to the pits.
Labor leader Bill Shorten has offered new hints at the shape of the NBN policy that his party will take to the election.
It’s still too early to determine how much effort will be required to whip into shape the elements of Telstra’s copper network that will be used for the National Broadband Network, according to an analysis prepared on behalf of NBN.
Ongoing leaks of sensitive documents at national broadband network (NBN) builder NBN Co were avoidable and highlight systematic failures in internal document controls, document-security specialists have warned as the fallout continues after the company was forced to call in the Australian Federal Police (AFP) for assistance.
Malcolm Turnbull has said in recent times that he does not want any spin and is that he demands straight talking from NBN co regarding its broadband rollout. However, his speech at the recent Commsday NBN Rebooted conference appears to fly in the face of this claim. At the end of September he said,
A prominent leak from within the nbn company has described how a dominant form of delay and cost blowout (with its favoured Fibre-to-the-Node rollout) is connecting power to tens of thousands of node cabinets. However, this ‘nightmare’ problem was known about from the beginning.
The company rolling out the ‘nbn’ network has sent flyers to residents in St Kilda offering them $100 to sign up to the nbn.
Get online anywhere with a fast mobile broadband USB stick
Get complimentary strategy guide here
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Telstra says some of its NBN customers paid for unachievable speeds
- Australian broadband speed ranking drops again despite NBN rollout
- Rowland says govt supressing unflattering NBN information
- nbn grows customer base, but suffers EBITDA loss
- [Updated] Labor has ruled out a Royal Commission into the NBN
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyVIC
- FTDatabase Developer - SQLACT
- FTTechnical WriterVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- CCPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTLearning & Development Consultant, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTDeployment Engineer / Field Service EngineerQLD
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - VR 3D WebGLNSW
- TPDigital ProducerVIC
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTSenior IT System Engineer Availability SpecialistACT
- TPSOE EngineerACT
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- FTApplication Support SpecialistQLD
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- CCProject Manager Information ManagementQLD
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Engineer (Windows & Virtualization)VIC