- Attractive design, wide array of inputs, good performance, value for money.
- No HDMI, fiddly to set up.
The Zensonic Z1080S AV receiver is a great all round product which provides a good level of bang for your buck.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The Zensonic Z1080S is a fairly standard AV receiver without any overblown bell and whistles. It offers solid performance and stylish design at an affordable price.
Silver in colour, the Z1080S is dominated by a large volume knob emblazoned with a neon blue ring of light. While attractive and eye-catching, those who like to watch films in complete darkness may find the light a tad bright, especially since it can't be turned off. The front panel has an S-Video and composite port making it ideal to quickly connect a camcorder or temporary AV device. The on-screen display is hidden nicely behind a mirrored panel, only visible once turned on. In contrast to the blue ring of light on the volume knob, the display can be dimmed or turned off using the remote control.
The mark of a good AV receiver is its connectivity features. The Z1080S offers a wide range of options in this domain with HDMI being the only omission. There are three composite, two component and two S-Video connectors as well as an in-built AM/FM tuner, accessed with the supplied antenna. Naturally, the Z1080S also allows optical audio connection, although since there is only one at the rear you are forced to prioritise your AV equipment. Most people will use optical for their DVD player, but in the current climate of full 5.1 gaming there are other audio devices that may vie for your optical connections. There is a second optical input, fortunately, but it is placed on the front panel and using it somewhat ruins the overall aesthetic with cables jutting out from the front of the unit.
There are enough speaker connections to support seven speakers and a subwoofer. This is handy when you consider the impressive array of sound formats supported: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS, DTS ES, DTS NEO:6 as well as DSP are on offer and cover most sound fields the average user could want.
Setting up the speakers could have been a little easier. Zensonic fly in the face of the traditional alligator clip connectors with their own screw-in style plugs making it unnecessarily fiddly. Here the wire is thread into the side of the red and black terminals and then screwed down and fastened. This method would be excellent if only the inputs were spaced further apart.
Unlike some high end units such as the Harmon Kardon AVR 340, there is no automatic calibration tool included with this receiver, so you will need to play it by ear or get the speaker volumes calibrated by a professional. Thankfully, the cutomisation options for each speaker are robust enough to make minute changes possible and we found it quite easy to achieve our desired sound mix.
With a 100dB signal to noise ratio, we were quite impressed with this system's sound quality. Naturally, the sound is also dictated by the speakers you use with your receiver, but elements like static and sound separation are universal across any speaker system. We were impressed with the lack of static using optical sound from the Xbox 360 game console. Both gaming and DVD movies were clear and precise with excellent bass and rich mid tones. We would have liked a little more treble, as even after calibration it was slightly lacking, but it's a small quibble easily forgiven. In our tests we used the massive Sony SA-WM500 subwoofer in a 5.1 array with top-notch Torpedo Digital speakers.
The volume levels achieved by the Z1080S were more than acceptable. With 150 watts per speaker the volume became quite loud, shaking the window panes of our test environment (always a good sign). At the highest volume there was a little distortion which is not usually present in the speakers when connected to our regular Pioneer receiver. However, anyone that consistently uses the Z1080S at this volume probably doesn't have much hearing left anyway.
Overall, the Zensonic Z1080S AV receiver is a great product which gives good bang for your buck. Its only real negative is that it doesn't support HDMI and it's fiddly to set up, but hopefully future models will correct these issues.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTMS SQL AdministratorOther
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Cloud HostingVIC
- CCTraining Co-OrdinatorNSW
- FTBI DeveloperQLD
- CCService Delivery LeadQLD
- FTLead UI Designer (Apps)NSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- CCProject Manager - Go to Market programVIC
- FTINTEGRATION DEVELOPERSA
- FTBusiness Analyst - Incident Management SystemsOther
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDeployment EngineersOther
- FTIntegration Specialist - TIBCOOther
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperQLD
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTDigital Acquisition Campaign ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst with Testing backgroundOther
- FTMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- TPProgram Manager - Managed ServicesQLD
- FTMobile/ Web (PHP) DeveloperNSW
- FTCampaign AnalystOther