- Small, compact, Easy to use
- Some distortion depending on where you place the unit
Simple, compact and very user friendly, the AirPlay2 is an ideal option; most notably for iPod nano owners.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
FM Transmitters are a hugely popular iPod accessory because they offer the ability to play your iPod through you car stereo for a fairly reasonable price. In the AirPlay2, XtremeMac has produced a fine product that is compact, hassle-free to use and provides decent quality FM sound; all in all a great bundle.
While these devices are very popular, they can also be largely hit and miss. Some people may not experience any problems; others may not get theirs to work at all. Because transmitting sounds over FM frequencies is unstable, the sound quality you'll get from such units depends on where you live, where you place the transmitter, what type of car you drive and the radio frequency you are using. However, we were extremely pleased that we encountered no major issues with the AirPlay2 during testing; despite some small issues with FM distortion (depending on where the unit is placed in the car), the unit worked very well and was a joy to use.
Designed with the iPod nano in mind (but still working with any iPod with a dock connector), the AirPlay2 is extremely small and compact in size. When attached to the nano, its size ensures it does not protrude over the standard dimensions of the miniscule player. This is great news for nano owners, but because the nano dock connector isn't central, those who are using the AirPlay2 with other iPod models will find sits off to one side a little. Nothing drastically wrong here, just worth a mention.
The simple design continues over into the operation of the unit, which we were pleased with. There are only four buttons on the unit; 1, 2, 3 and AirPlay2. The numbered buttons are used to manually select a frequency or access preset frequency stations. The AirPlay2 button is used simply to switch the unit from Manual Tuning mode to Normal Operation mode and vice versa.
To tune in a frequency, you simply use the manual tuning mode to select a station on your car radio that is free of distortion and then hold down either the 1, 2 or 3 preset buttons to store it in the AirPlay2. You can store up to three preset frequencies, which may be useful if you do a lot of traveling and need to use multiple presets in different locations.
The AirPlay2 displays the frequency as well as preset settings in a small blue backlit screen in the middle of the unit. It also shows whether the unit is in Mono or Stereo mode; the Airplay2 has the capability to be switched between these modes. According to XtremeMac, if there is a great deal of radio interference switching to mono mode may improve sound quality. We have to say that we didn't feel the need to do this, as sound quality was adequate throughout testing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSystem Support Analyst, ERPNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTField Technician - Radio communication serviceACT
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- FTTest Engineer | $92 p/hrVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- FTManual TesterACT
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTAppian DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA
- TPAV Design Specialist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCXML DeveloperVIC
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW