Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0
Speedy and cheap graphics editing
- Fast, cheap, extrude tool
- No pixel-editing tools
Fast and inexpensive, Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 is an excellent choice for print and web designers on a budget — or a deadline.
Price$ 259.00 (AUD)
Often overshadowed by better-known applications, Xara Xtreme Pro is a graphics program with something to prove. This latest release — faster and more powerful than its predecessor — deserves more of the spotlight.
Xara Xtreme 4.0 — which comes in Standard and Pro versions — mixes vector illustration, bitmap editing, animation and Web design tools. Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 now sports an integrated Photo Tool that lets you make basic edits in the main document window rather than a separate editor window.
And while Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 isn't a straight replacement for a program such as Photoshop — it lacks pixel-editing tools for starters — it has big advantages. The changes you make are non-destructive so you can go back and edit them later. In a way it's like Photoshop's Adjustment layers, but easier to use. Resulting file sizes are smaller too.
But what's striking about Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0, whether working with vectors or bitmaps, is its speed. It's hard to accurately measure the developer's claim that it's up to 10 times faster than other graphics software. But it's certainly more responsive than Illustrator, which can get bogged down on detailed illustrations. Performance was helped on our test machine by the fact that the Pro version of Xara Xtreme 4.0 supports multicore processors.
Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0's speed is put to use in a new extrude tool that can press out text or objects by dragging on their side, with the preview adjusting in real-time — it's ideal for basic 3D work if not full modelling.
Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 is also a functional page layout editor. While again not a match for dedicated applications — we found it difficult to manage multiple-column layouts and there's no way to manage styles — it does at least support pro-level features such as text kerning and you can now flow around shapes easily by setting the object to repel text below it. While Xtreme Pro has long been able to create multipage documents, this capability now extends to the standard version too.
Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0's new Web-editing tools can turn such multi-page documents into an HTML website. It makes a good job too. CSS styles are used to replicate the positioning of page elements and while the underlying code created isn't the cleanest, reproduction is accurate. For small sites that you need to produce quickly, this could be a godsend.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTAutomation Test Analyst- QTP/UFT scripting - X5Other
- FTUI / UX Designer - UBANK - PermOther
- TPProgram Scheduler | 12 Month Contract | Qld GovernmentQLD
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior System Engineer l Office 365,Windows 10, VMWare WorkspaceNSW
- FTKnowledge AnalystOther
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- FTSecurity Cleared Network EngineerACT
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health - 12+ month contractQLD
- FTUI / UX Designer - UBANK - ContractOther
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- TPSAP CRM Functional ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperQLD
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Project OfficerOther
- TPDigital Services Project ManagerACT
- CCNetwork Security - DNSVIC
- FTSystems Engineer - BI Apps TeamOther