Xandros Desktop OS Deluxe 2.5
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Want to give Linux a try with little fuss and bewilderment? Xandros may have just what you're looking for. We took the $129 Xandros Desktop OS Deluxe 2.5 for a spin and were pleased to find that everything just plain worked.
Installation is a snap (and in-cludes automatic disk partitioning), and the tasks of connecting to a Windows network and outputting to its printers (almost always a chore in Linux) are as easy as on a Windows PC. You can dual boot with Windows XP and drag and drop to burn CDs from the Xandros File Manager. We also had no problem accessing Flash and RealPlayer content as we travelled the Web. In the lower-right corner is an application-launching menu, plus a taskbar and a system tray. Strange surroundings for a Windows expatriate? Hardly. Xandros provides a fantastic utility that not only handles online updates but also lets you seek out lots of goodies from the world of free software. The OpenOffice.org suite is included, as is CrossOver Office, a commercial product that lets you run certain Windows applications, including Microsoft Office and Photoshop.
The $189 Xandros Desktop OS Business 2.5 edition also furthers the bundle by including Sun StarOffice Suite, Citrix client software, IBM Terminal emulators, Windows PDC and Active directory server authentication and 90 days of e-mail technical support.
Not everything is perfect. Interface fonts are inconsistent between programs. Also, when we drag a file out of the File Manager and onto the desktop, we want the icon to appear where I dropped it, instead of scampering up to the top-left corner of the screen. Finally, the Xandros Control Center (think Windows XP's Control Panel) is a labyrinthine nightmare, with some 67 configuration applets scattered across nine categories.
I expect the Xandros team to add more polish to its distribution in future versions, addressing some of these issues. But as it stands, this is an excellent bridge product for people who are comfortable with the Windows way of doing things but want to move away from Windows itself.
Interestingly, Xandros has also made its Desktop OS Open Circulation Edition (with pared down features) available completely free if you use BitTorrent peer-to-peer software to download it from www.xandros.com/about/downloads.html.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTProject Manager unique start up opportunity.NSW
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTJunior Java DeveloperOther
- FTTeam Lead, Asset Mgmt & OperationsOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Workbrain Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTHelpdesk OfficerSA
- CCEnvironment Support Analyst with .NetQLD
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- FTPEGA ArchitectOther
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- FTService Desk Technical LeadOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC