QTTabBar beefs up Windows Explorer
- Tabs can be useful
- Takes some time to adjust to
If you believe having access to multiple tabs and those features is a benefit, QTTabBar could be worth the time and effort.
QTTabBar (free) is a moderately useful add-in for Windows Explorer that adds tabs and several other features to the Explorer interface. With it, you'll be able to quickly switch between folders by simply clicking a tab, as well as being able to perform some basic functions with new icons across the top of Explorer.
If you use QTTabBar, be prepared to muddle around for a while until you figure out how it works. After installation, you have to log off or restart Windows, then log on again, and enable QTTabBar in the Taskbar. Even when you do that, though, you've got work ahead of you, because you'll then have to turn on the menu in Windows Explorer, unlock the Windows Explorer menu bar, and fiddle with it until you expose QTTabBar's buttons.
The most important feature QTTabBar offers is switching among folders by using tabs, but you get a little more as well, such as being able to open folders in groups. Add-ins also let you perform common tasks such as deleting files by clicking a button.
Whether it will be worthwhile to do this depends on how badly you want to use tabs in Windows Explorer, and get other features such as being able to open folders in groups. If you believe having access to multiple tabs and those features is a benefit, QTTabBar could be worth the time and effort. But if tabs aren't high on your list of must-haves, you'll be better off passing on this freebie.
Note: To install it in Vista, you'll have to run the installation program as an administrator.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- JBL take smart speakers back to the living room Link 300
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Developer - Data Feeds: C# .Net Developer | FinTechOther
- TPPMO AnalystACT
- FTSenior Checkpoint Security EngineerOther
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Java Developer / IntegratorQLD
- FTSenior iOS Software EngineerOther
- TPProject CoordiantorNSW
- CCSystem Administrator (TRIM) - BrisbaneVIC
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- FTITIL Problem Manager - Team LeadACT
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationNSW
- FTXamarin DeveloperOther
- TPICT Project Support OfficerQLD
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- FTJunior BA x 2Other
- FTSoftware Technical WriterOther
- FTFull Stack Developer - NodeJSQLD
- CCLead Business AnalystQLD
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- CCFull Stack Mobile/Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Security SpecialistOther
- CCTelco Network EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Technical Business AnalystQLD