WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 is spell- and grammar-checking software.
- Application agnostic, improved interface
- Not foolproof
If you lack confidence in your writing skills, WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 may prove to be a boon. And General Writing stays just the right side of overpriced. But as with all such tools, caveats apply — don't rely on WhiteSmoke alone to make sure your copy is pristine.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 is spell- and grammar-checking software. It aims to improve upon WhiteSmoke 2008 with a revamped user interface, updated style-checking engine and relevant grammar corrections.
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 also adds error explanations to help you improve your writing. All flavours of WhiteSmoke 2009 include useful templates, English lessons and a dictionary.
The basic principles and price structure remain the same. The program comes in several flavours, from the US$79 WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009, through several packages aimed at specific areas of industry, up to the $249 Executive Package that contains them all. We tested General Writing.
WhiteSmoke is application agnostic. Whenever you're writing, it can be called upon by hitting F2. A WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 window appears, showing your copy with ‘errors' highlighted and suggested corrections. Should you desire, WhiteSmoke appears on the fly to offer assistance, but this is a little too Clippy for our liking, and we soon switched it off.
WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009's user interface is a definite improvement, clearer and more intuitive. Errors are broken into three, colour-coded categories: spelling, grammar and style. If you're unsure of a grammar or style point, you can further investigate each error with WhiteSmoke's assistance.
Indisputably, WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 is a robust spellchecker. And it's UK-specific, unlike your word processor, we'd wager. WhiteSmoke is also a helpful grammar crutch, but it is by no means a panacea. And if you're shelling out over and above the cost of your office suite for a product such as this, it really should be.
For instance, in our tests, simple errors such as leaving no space after a fullstop were not picked up by WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009. And your OS's free text editor will do that.
Literal errors such as 'were' and 'where' can also slip through the WhiteSmoke General Writing 2009 net. And your reviewer refuses to take style tips from a program that still fails on the less/fewer test. Must do better.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 2 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 3 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- 4 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 5 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
Latest News Articles
- Got Spotify for desktop? You can now download songs for offline playback
- Amazon's revamped Alexa Voice Remote for Fire TV adds shortcuts to Netflix, Disney+
- Spotify will roll out CD-quality audio streams later this year
- Amazon’s new Echo Show 10 and its rotating display will finally ship on Feburary 25
- Google adds a privacy-oriented Guest Mode to its Home and Nest smart speakers and displays
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- How the Xbox Series X (and xCloud) saved me from buying a gaming PC
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies