With high capacity storage and lightning-fast speeds, SanDisk’s Extreme PRO Portable SSD and Extreme PRO® SDXC™ UHS-I Cards are the perfect companions for performance conscious photographers. Enter today for your chance to win.
Western Digital WD RE2 500GB SATA
- Lots of storage, Reliable
- Not ultra quick
This drive represents low cost and high capacity storage, compared to SCSI or Fibre Channel drives, and is a worthy storage option for small to medium businesses that require a large capacity solution for their servers.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Western Digital's Caviar RAID Edition hard drives are designed for server environments where individual drives are selected based on their reliability traits, rather than their high capacity. What the WD5000YS provides, however, is a copious half-terabyte capacity with a 7200rpm spin speed, a 16MB buffer and a 3Gbps Serial ATA (SATA) interface with native command queuing (NCQ). These features are a hallmark of today's high-end desktop drives, where space and performance are the catalysts in our buying decision.
Where the WD5000YS differs from high-end desktop drives is in its MTBF (mean-time between failure) rating and in its error recovery capabilities. It's been specifically designed to work in a RAID environment and not as a stand-alone drive in a desktop PC.
Western Digital claims this drive can run at 100 per cent duty cycle for a super-natural 1.2 million hours before giving up the ghost, and the company supports it with a five-year warranty.
Western Digital also claims the WD5000YS has been designed to run continuously in rack environments, and has advanced algorithms to tolerate vibration from this type of environment.
The drive is not designed to provide blistering speed, but it nevertheless does fare well outside of a RAID environment. As a stand-alone drive in a high-end Intel-based desktop, our tests garnered read and write transfer rates of around 23MBps, which is on par with what we've achieved with dedicated desktop drives such as Seagate's 500GB Barracuda 7200.9. Transfer rates will improve, too, when multiple WD5000YS drives are installed in a RAID environment, and will depend on the RAID controller that is used and the size of the array.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 ASUS TUF FX505 (Ryzen 7) review: Tolerable trade-offs
- 2 Oppo A5Xs review: Cutting corners
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Xiro Drone Xplorer V by Rapoo review
Latest News Articles
- Seagate show off new modular Lyve Drive storage solution
- Is there a better time to buy a giant MicroSD card for your Nintendo Switch than Black Friday?
- Seagate's new portable SSDs are as colorful as they are compact
- Western Digital announces Australian release of travel-ready SSD
- Samsung give a new coat of paint (and a discount) to their T5 SSD
PCW Evaluation Team
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
- Huawei P40 Pro review: Breaking Point
- Dell XPS 13 (2020) review: A deft upgrade that doesn't break what doesn't need fixing
- How Australia's Telcos and ISPs are reacting to increased coronavirus connectivity demands
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies