Western Digital WD RE2 500GB SATA
- Lots of storage, Reliable
- Not ultra quick
This drive represents low cost and high capacity storage, compared to SCSI or Fibre Channel drives, and is a worthy storage option for small to medium businesses that require a large capacity solution for their servers.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Western Digital's Caviar RAID Edition hard drives are designed for server environments where individual drives are selected based on their reliability traits, rather than their high capacity. What the WD5000YS provides, however, is a copious half-terabyte capacity with a 7200rpm spin speed, a 16MB buffer and a 3Gbps Serial ATA (SATA) interface with native command queuing (NCQ). These features are a hallmark of today's high-end desktop drives, where space and performance are the catalysts in our buying decision.
Where the WD5000YS differs from high-end desktop drives is in its MTBF (mean-time between failure) rating and in its error recovery capabilities. It's been specifically designed to work in a RAID environment and not as a stand-alone drive in a desktop PC.
Western Digital claims this drive can run at 100 per cent duty cycle for a super-natural 1.2 million hours before giving up the ghost, and the company supports it with a five-year warranty.
Western Digital also claims the WD5000YS has been designed to run continuously in rack environments, and has advanced algorithms to tolerate vibration from this type of environment.
The drive is not designed to provide blistering speed, but it nevertheless does fare well outside of a RAID environment. As a stand-alone drive in a high-end Intel-based desktop, our tests garnered read and write transfer rates of around 23MBps, which is on par with what we've achieved with dedicated desktop drives such as Seagate's 500GB Barracuda 7200.9. Transfer rates will improve, too, when multiple WD5000YS drives are installed in a RAID environment, and will depend on the RAID controller that is used and the size of the array.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - investment bankingVIC
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - POS/DesktopOther
- CCFull-Stack AWS Python DeveloperWA
- CCAppian DeveloperVIC
- FTUI Developer / Front-End DevloperQLD
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Oracle ConsultantNSW
- FTCampaign AnalystOther
- CCRelease Manager (Salesforce)NSW
- CCService Integration and Delivery Manager- SIAMNSW
- CCLevel 1 Service DeskACT
- FTProject Manager | High Profile 4 year Transformation ProjectQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Network SecurityOther
- CCDataStage DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTJAVA DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Change SpecialistOther
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Selenium/ToscaOther
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTHogan Technical ConsultantOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTCRM DeveloperACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW