Why virtualise your NAS environment?
WD My Passport Ultra portable hard drive
This slim, small USB 3.0 hard drive is quick and quiet
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer speeds
- Bundled monitoring, backup, security software
- Larger and more expensive than competing drives
WD’s My Passport Ultra portable HDD is a surprisingly small device, easy to slip into a backpack, laptop bag, or jeans pocket.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
The WD My Passport Ultra is the fastest portable hard drive that Western Digital makes. Despite this, it’s quite small and light, runs silently, and isn’t too expensive. If you’ve got a USB 3.0 computer and don’t mind paying a little more than other drives cost, the My Passport Ultra should keep you happy.
WD My Passport Ultra: Design, features, and setup
The WD My Passport Ultra looks very similar to the My Passport Edge from 2012, except it’s now available in red, blue, black and silver.
Our 1TB test drive is the larger of the two capacities currently available — the other is a slightly cheaper 500GB. There’s a 2TB model on the way in a few months. WD includes a soft protective pouch for carrying the drive and its USB cable around in.
Being a USB 3.0 drive, the My Passport Ultra uses the long, skinny USB 3.0 connector on one of its shorter edges. Apart from a power/status light, it’s the only feature on the otherwise buttonless, display-less drive.
WD bundles a 50cm-long cable with the Ultra; since it runs off USB bus power there’s no need for a secondary power adapter or Y-split USB cable.
The drive comes pre-formatted for Windows systems, and Mac OS X will also be able to access files but not write them without a simple re-format process. A PDF user’s manual — in 24 languages, no less — is on the drive, although we’re guessing that if you’ve managed to plug the drive in and get it working enough to be able to see the manual, you’re doing just fine already.
The My Passport Ultra comes pre-loaded with Western Digital’s SmartWare, Security and Disk Utilities programs, both for Windows and OS X — for disk monitoring, setting a user password, and automated backups.
These utilities are useful, don’t pop up unnecessarily, and are relatively lightweight to install and use. They’re nothing too exciting, but SmartWare’s automated backup process and Dropbox syncing might come in handy for some users.
WD My Passport Ultra: Performance
The Ultra performed well in our real-world and synthetic benchmarks — apart from solid-state drives, it’s the fastest USB 3.0 drive we’ve tried out.
We managed to hit USB 3.0 read and write speeds of 114MBps and 111MBps respectively, which is hugely fast for a relatively cheap and high-capacity storage device. USB 2.0 speeds, relevant if you’re only able to transfer to the drive using an older computer, are a middling 33MBps and 29MBps.
1TB, by Western Digital’s count, is enough to hold 200,000 photos, 76 hours of video, or 250,000 music tracks. Realistically this is more than enough space for the average user, unless you’ve got a particularly large downloaded movie or TV show library, in which case you should be looking at a desktop backup solution rather than a portable one.
WD My Passport Ultra: Conclusion
The My Passport Ultra is pretty fast for a spinning-disk portable drive, and it offers all the advantages of having such excessive storage capacity in the palm of your hand.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Garmin introduces compact Edge 130 GPS bike computer
- ZTE slams "unfair" trade ban
- Google pauses Allo, presses play on Chat
- Garmin introduce Edge 520 Plus GPS cycling computer
- Huawei reveal just when Australians will be able to buy the new P20 Pro
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCUDS DeveloperNSW
- FTStorage & Backup EngineerOther
- FTProject Manager (Telco) - Mid-LevelVIC
- FTCyber Security Solution ArchitectOther
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- CCWindows System Admin with IIS - Insurance ClientQLD
- FTOracle Developer (PL/SQL)SA
- FTPeoplesoft HCM Application DeveloperACT
- TPSecurity and Risk ManagerVIC
- CCScrum Master - Online DigitalVIC
- TPTechnical Project Manager (HRIS)WA
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW
- FTDesktop Support AnalystOther
- FT.NET DeveloperOther
- FTHelp desk Support AnalystOther
- FTSenior Digital Frontend Developer, UX & Web TechnologyOther
- TPEnterprise/Service Architect - Service Management ExperienceQLD
- FTC++/Python DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior iOS Software EngineerOther
- FTSenior Salesforce Consultant / DeveloperOther
- CCSAP DevelopersQLD
- CCOracle TesterNSW
- FTWireless Consulting EngineerNSW
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperQLD