Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II (WDH2Q20000)
Big, green and surprisingly quiet
- Energy efficient, simple and elegant design, runs quietly, good software
- Slower read/write speed than comparable devices
It's quiet, it's energy efficient and it’s 2TB of space in an easily connectible box. The Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II may not be the fastest kid on the block, but it isn’t a slow coach and it is customisable enough to suit most situations.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Although the Western Digital 'My Book' Studio Edition II is nominally aimed at Mac lovers, there's little to keep PC users from enjoying this flexible and energy-efficient 2TB unit.
With three types of connections spread over four ports on the back of the device (2 x FireWire S800, 1 x eSATA and 1 x mini-USB 2.0), the My Book is equipped for the modern computer user — although those with FireWire S400 connections will need a converter.
Inside the elegantly simple plastic exterior, which is virtually identical to the previous Western Digital My Book Studio, are two 'Green Power' hard drives that provide the storage. Due to the drives being formatted for use with Macs, PC users will need to convert the hard drives from HFS+ to NTFS via Disk Management in Windows Vista. This will leave two drives of 905GB each to play with, for a total of 1.81TB of storage.
By using the WD RAID Manager program that comes bundled with the storage centre, the drives' RAID configuration can be changed so that they mirror each other. This means that if one of the drives is disabled or damaged, the data will still be safe and available on the other.
Another useful piece of bundled software is WD Anywhere Backup. This simple program allows users to quickly select the folders they want backed up as well as the proposed drive location in three easy steps (the software code required to extend use beyond 30 days is hidden away on the back of the fold-out manual).
Both drives are proudly green: our power readings showed that both when reading and writing the WD hit a peak energy consumption level of 17 Watts. When the connection to a computer is severed, the 'My Book' detects this and drops power consumption to a low 7 Watts.
The My Book's performance is nothing spectacular. During testing we transferred 5GB of data between it and a 320GB Seagate hard drive that spins at 7200rpm. For the S800 FireWire connection, the My Book managed write and read speeds of 26.57MBps and 39.73MBps respectively, while the USB 2.0 managed to score 28.97MBps and 31.10MBps. The eSATA port connection was more impressive, managing to read data at a speed of 49.38MBps and write at 58.95MBps.
At a price of $699, this device offers 2TB of energy-efficient storage for 39c/GB. If you're a user who needs plenty of space constantly at the ready, then the My Book may be for you. If you're looking for performance, however, look elsewhere.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTApplication PackagerSA
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieQLD
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- PTProject ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistQLD
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery ExecutiveACT
- FTUX DesignerNSW
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- CCSharepoint Analyst / DeveloperQLD
- TPAssistant Change Manager | System Implementation ProjectQLD
- FTPMO LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst- Wollongong, Loftus, Sutherland ShireNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer - JavaNSW
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTP3O SpecialistACT
- FTChange & Release ManagerACT
- FTDelivery Co-ordinatorsQLD