Western Digital My Book Studio 3TB external hard drive
WD My Book Studio 3TB review: Fast, stylish and Mac-friendly
- Sturdy, good looking
- Fast transfers over FW800
- No USB 3.0
- Formatted for Mac only (although easily fixed)
Western Digital's My Book Studio 3TB offers massive storage and fast transfer speeds to older-generation Macs using FireWire, and USB 2.0 is also included. We're waiting for a Thunderbolt update for Western Digital's range of Mac-friendly external hard drives, but for Macs of a slightly older vintage the My Book Studio is a high quality product.
Price$ 299.99 (AUD)
The Western Digital My Book Studio 3TB external hard drive is a simple solution for backing up data from your pre-2011 Mac via FireWire. If you've got a newer Mac you can use USB 2.0, but we'd wait for a Thunderbolt enclosure on those devices.
WD My Book Studio: Design and setup
The WD My Book Studio matches the latest crop of Mac desktops and notebooks — the iMac, the unibody MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini — with its brushed-aluminium finish. We're a big fan of this look — it's understated and quietly stylish and extremely scratch resistant. We carried the My Book Studio in a backpack with its power adapter in the same compartment, and the few surface scratches it sustained were easy to rub off with a damp cloth.
Techworld Australia secure storage reviews
- Group test: Encrypted external hard drive reviews
- Data Locker Enterprise review
- Data Locker DL3 encrypted hard drive review
- Eclypt Freedom 320GB review
- iStorage diskGenie review
- CMS ABSplus with Data Guard hard drive review
- CMS ABSplus FDE hard drive review
There are no fancy screens on the My Book Studio, with only a single white LED on the enclosure's front. It flickers brightly when the drive is in use, and turns off when the My Book Studio enters its low-power standby mode. In this mode, the hard drive spins down, saving power and silencing the device — the only downside is a wait time of around 8.5 seconds when you start accessing the My Book Studio again.
The enclosure's rear has two FireWire 800 ports — one direct connection and one to daisy-chain another device — and a USB 2.0 port using a mini-USB connector. Any Mac up to the end of 2010 or thereabouts will be spoilt with the high speeds from FireWire 800, and every other Mac or PC can use the USB 2.0 connection instead. Of course, Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 would be preferable, but we expect a bit more of a wait until these connectors are common.
WD My Book Studio: Performance
The WD My Book Studio is available in 1TB, 2TB and 3TB flavours, with corresponding prices of $179.99, $229.99 and $299.99. We think the 3TB is actually the best deal: the amount of storage space is immense for a single drive, and the price really isn't too far off buying a Western Digital 3TB internal drive and cheap FireWire 800 enclosure. The drive is HFS+ formatted and so will only read and write on Mac OS X. You can easily re-format the drive to NTFS for Windows use, but this is another step for new and possibly amateur users to undertake.
We tested the WD My Book Studio by half-filling it with data and then transferring 13GB of files back and forth from a mid-2010 MacBook Pro (with a third-party 120GB SSD installed) over FireWire 800. We were able to transfer 13GB of files from the MacBook Pro to the My Book Studio in 3min 12.3sec. Reading 13GB of files from the My Book Studio to the Mac took 3min 29.3sec. Both tests were averaged over three successive runs.
These transfer times translate into raw speeds of 69.3MB/sec for write and 63.7MB/sec for reading files — more than fast enough for any average user's needs, and fast enough to deal with the demands of video or photo editing software suites. We haven't tested the USB 2.0 speed of the WD My Book Studio 3TB yet, but we expect figures of around 40MB/sec for both read and write.
WD My Book Studio: Conclusion
The Western Digital My Book Studio 3TB external drive is quiet, fast and has plentiful storage. Its reasonable price tag makes it an easy-to-recommend choice for any Mac user looking to boost storage capacity with an all-in-one device.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- FTApplication Support SpecialistVIC
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Director - Gold CoastQLD
- CCSenior AngularJS DeveloperNSW
- FTWindows EngineerOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- TPEL1 Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTSAP EMAOther
- FTScrum Master - Digital / Marketing - CBAOther
- FTAccount Commercial and Contract Manager (ANZ)VIC
- CCProject Implementation Support - Telecom IndustryVIC
- CCPega LSA - Banking IndustryVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW