Western Digital My Book Elite (2TB) external hard drive
WD's My Book Elite external hard drive has an eInk label and hardware encryption
- eInk label, AES hardware encryption, intuitive backup software
- No eSATA or FireWire connections
Western Digital has revamped its My Book Elite external hard drive with hardware encryption, eInk labelling and improved backup software.
Price$ 399.99 (AUD)
Western Digital's refreshed My Book Elite 2TB external hard drive offers intuitive backup options, 256-bit AES hardware encryption, and an e-ink capacity indicator. However, there are faster USB 2.0–based external hard drives that have passed through our Test Centre, and it doesn't offer any alternative connections like eSATA.
The WD My Book Elite has a similar book-like design to its predecessors. It's still passively cooled through vents on the top and back, so it runs silently. The fascia has undergone the biggest change: instead of a slim LED capacity indicator it uses an eInk display to show how much space is left on the drive. You can also use it to label the drive using the WD SmartWare software, which is definitely handy if you have more than one external hard drive. Because the display is eInk, the label will last for up to six months before requiring power again.
The My Book Elite has a single mini-USB 2.0 connection (the same kind used in the vast majority of digital cameras, portable hard drives). Given the "elite" moniker, we would have preferred faster connections like FireWire 800 or eSATA.
Though formatted in NTFS for Windows PCs out of the box, the My Book Elite will work with Macs as well. Western Digital has included both Mac and Windows versions of bundled software on a reserved partition of the drive. This means even if you format the drive, the software remains.
WD SmartWare lets you change your hard drive's label.
The highlight of the included software is WD SmartWare, a configuration hub which lets you choose backup schedules, alter the eInk label and enable the drive's password-protected 256-bit AES hardware encryption.
Backing up using the My Book Elite is fairly intuitive. Like the software on the HP SimpleSave Portable, WD's SmartWare automatically categorises data on both your PC and the external hard drive based on file extensions. From here, you can choose which types of files to back up. However, unlike the SimpleSave Portable, you can't set your own custom extensions. As a result, obscure media formats will simply be listed as "other" and bundled with miscellaneous system files. WD SmartWare supports up to 25 sequential backups of the same file.
|Small File (3GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Western Digital My Book Elite||$399.99||2TB||24.6||15.2||10.2|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||28.8||17.1||10.5|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||25||25||10.2|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||23.4||15||10.7|
|Large File (20GB) Transfer Test Results|
|Western Digital My Book Elite||$399.99||2TB||27.7||24.1||11.3|
|LaCie Starck Desktop Hard Drive||$199||1TB||30.3||25.7||12.7|
|Promise SmartStor DS4600||$550||3TB||27.9||26.4||11.7|
|Maxtor [[Artnid:296805|OneTouch 4 Plus|Review: Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus externsal hard drive||$349||750GB||28.58||25.47||N/A|
|Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II||$999||4TB||26.7||25.1||12.7|
Western Digital's My Book Elite manages reasonable read and write speeds when dealing with both small and large files, but isn't the fastest USB 2.0 external hard drive we've tested. A faster interface, like FireWire 800, would certainly have made a difference in our large file tests.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTPortfolio Manager/ Process Methodology Manager.Other
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorOther
- FTSenior Digital ProducerNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer - Contact Centre ApplicationsOther
- CCDataStage DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- FTRESTful services - Senior Tech LeadACT
- FTBilling Consultant - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer - C++ and NodeQLD
- FTProject Support Officer (Part Time)SA
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTDigital Program Manager - Web & eCommerceOther
- FTJunior Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperOther
- FTMulesoft Integration DeveloperOther
- CCApplications PackagerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTDeployment Project CoordinatorOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- TPSenior .Net Developer - 6 months contractQLD
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC