Webroot Secure Backup
Back up data online
- Decent price, incremental backups
- Unattractive interface
Webroot does a good job and is simple to use. The price is decent (although Carbonite offers unlimited storage for a similar amount), but Bullguard’s interface is much cleaner and still remains the software of choice in this area.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Storing important files online has become a useful option for home and small business computer users, and Webroot Secure Backup is the second such product to be reviewed in as many months, the last being BullGuard Backup 8.0.
The fundamentals of such programs are very similar: software installed on your hard drive integrates seamlessly with storage space on a remote server so that files can be transferred automatically off site. This means that should something go disastrously wrong with your PC, those files can be restored without the worry of checking whether data on other storage media (such as writeable DVDs or an external hard drive) is still secure.
That said, as with Bullguard and a number of other programs, Webroot also provides users with the ability to backup to a variety of local media, and the simple interface provides the option to save files locally or online. An added virtue of the latter is that files saved to the remote server can be accessed anywhere — all you need to do is log into your account. Once an initial backup has been made, incremental changes can be made and automated to take place monthly, weekly or hourly.
Webroot uses secure socket layer (SSL) technology to transfer encrypted data to the company's server, so there should be no problem at all with the integrity and safety of backups, and like Bullguard Backup 8.0, a single licence can be used on up to three separate PCs. Prices for a yearly licence begin at $29.95, but as this provides only 2GB of storage it may not be that useful for the majority of users. A more effective service is likely to be provided with the $49.95/year subscription for 10GB, which is closer to Bullguard's pricing.
One area where Webroot does not compare as well is in terms of its interface: mostly this is a question of aesthetics. Although the program works very well with Vista, it simply does not look as slick as Bullguard. In many respects, this is fairly minor, and certainly the program is very easy to use, but an overhaul of the front end would simply make it appear a little more professional. It is functional rather than attractive.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTIOS DeveloperWA
- FTDNS Network SpecialistOther
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Consultant - Portfolio GovernanceVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTFront-End DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Insights AnalystNSW
- FTTibco DeveloperOther
- FTTest Analyst - AGILE- CMS/Digital/Web projectsOther
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCProgram SchedulerQLD
- CCIT Service Desk Specialist - BrisbaneVIC
- FTNetwork AdministratorNSW
- FTOpenText ConsultantQLD
- CCNetwork operation engineerVIC
- FTPower BI /SQL DeveloperOther
- FTMainframe DevelopersOther
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSite Acquisition/ RF Engineer EngineerNSW
- CCSQL DBAWA
- TPPMO ManagerNSW
- TPSitecore DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther