WebFlicks Online DVD Rentals
- 17,000 strong catalogue, Reasonable DVD turnaround, Good customer service.
- Unattractive interface, Too expensive
WebFlicks is a good online DVD rental service but it is in no way the best.
Price$ None (AUD)
When you first go to the WebFlicks website, it looks like a poor cousin of the other Australian DVD Rental sites with a fairly unattractive interface. The garish orange and blue interface is far from sleek and aesthetically pleasing, but the functionality of the website is actually quite good. The search function is rather comprehensive and the menu system on the left of the page covers all the usual elements such as new to DVD, coming soon, new releases and a variety of specialty groupings. However, when you visit the new releases, it becomes painfully obvious that they are about a month behind their competitors with respect to their range.
Of the big three Australian Online DVD Rental websites, WebFlicks has the smallest range with only 17,000 titles. The fact that they don't have the absolute latest titles is a detriment to the service and is a large contributing factor when deciding which service to choose.
On the upside, their DVD Turnaround is quite reasonable. When we signed up to their trial we choose 15 titles to put on our list broken up into 10 new and recent releases and 5 older titles. It took about 5 days to get our first shipment from WebFlicks which was comprised of 3 recent releases and 1 older release. We sent them back two days later but received no new shipment before it was time to cancel our trial.
WebFlicks has a very limited trial period of two weeks, the same as their competitor QuickFlix, which we felt was not enough time for the average consumer to properly assess the merits of the service. The one month trial offered by BigPond Movies allowed for a more thorough representation of that company and should be a standard for all these services.
To add insult to injury, WebFlicks is also more expensive than its competitors, which is curious considering what they offer. If they had a wider range and the latest releases, they may have been able to justify their price point, but considering their service, it seems a little overblown.
Their customer service was quite good although we did find that they tended to send a few too many superfluous emails. When it came time to cancel our account we were very pleased with how easy it was. All we needed to do was click on button and it was done. We received a follow up email asking us to fill out a survey as to why we decided to cancel our account but that was the last we heard from them. We appreciated that fact quite a bit.
WebFlicks is a good online DVD rental service but it is in no way the best. It is almost on-par with QuickFlix as they tend to send out more DVDs at one time but their pricing, interface and range leaves them sitting in third place in our April roundup.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerTAS
- CCPega DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment and Trading PlatformNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer | $90 p/hrVIC
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 2 SupportQLD
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieQLD
- FTAutomation Anywhere/Robotics EngineerQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCSAP HCM Support & Configuration ConsultantQLD
- FTDisaster Recovery AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTWeb Developer - VR 3D WebGL - Lake MacquarieNSW
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPBI ConsultantNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD