Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Speed Racer
- Super friendly "car-fu" controls, wireless for up to six, decent 3-D
- Some AI rubberbanding, puzzling lack of award ceremony screen
It's somewhat mindless fun, but it's still fun.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Despite sounding absolutely ridiculous on paper, there is something fun about "car-fu." And not only that, but when I say "car-fu" I'm talking about the crazy vehicle martial artistry exhibited by insanely fast cars with a set of Jump Jacks and some very agile wheels; i.e., cars from this spring's Wachowski Brothers family flick, Speed Racer. This means that yes, Speed Racer: The Videogame is a movie license game you can buy for your nephew cringe-free.
Go go go
Apparently if you don't know these characters it's your own fault, but all they're here to do is compete in the World Racing League circuits, so it doesn't matter. The WRL comes in three difficulty classes based on speed and enemy feistiness, each with its own lay-out of the 19 tracks. As you advance, you'll eventually unlock arcade modes for time trials, stunt runs and quick battles. If you can gain enough fans via mad skillz in the trick department, you'll also gain access to new car models, fresh paint jobs and, eventually, all 16 playable drivers.
Car-fu. This is what sets Speed Racer apart from other racing games — the ability to literally jump on top of another car to mess them up. Hit the B prompt near an opponent to slow down time (you can even take your thumb off the gas if you like) and then perform a bit of quick-time magic to pull off the crunch. Just hit X or Y as the icon slides over the sweet spot — harmless! In medium and hard difficulty, you get sent to the same screen to dodge enemy attacks.
A more immediate car-fu manoeuvre is a spin mapped to the X button. It's useful not only for knocking around your opponents, but also for recovering from a weird trick landing or a bad drift. Tricks and drifts are excellent, in turn, not only because they make the girlies swoon, but because they fill your boost bar and can send you into the invincible "zone."
Mach 5 in your pocket
All told, Speed Racer: The Videogame is a forgiving, kid-friendly experience. Any times I somehow fell off the course were balanced by the times I probably should have, but didn't. Since you never actually explode, it's pretty much mindless fun, even when dealing with AI that always seems to manage to catch up. It's too bad there's no downloadable multiplayer option, but up to five can join in with their own cards. For those not quite willing to pop for the Wii Wheelin' version or who need their Speed on the road, the DS game holds its own.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Miofive 4K Dash Cam review: This friendly road watcher is ‘here for you!’
- 2 Dell U3223QE review: A winning debut for an IPS Black monitor
- 3 Netgear Nighthawk M5 mobile router review: Probably too expensive, but nice
- 4 Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A review: This 4K monitor plays nice with consoles
- 5 Firewalla Gold review: Powerful home network security in a tiny box
Latest News Articles
- This real-life “aimbot” uses a physical mouse to cheat at shooting games
- Bethesda’s classic Elder Scrolls games arrive on Steam—for free
- We tested 22 different RPGs on the Steam Deck
- Steam Deck’s first major update adds a lock screen, Windows 11 support
- Sony is getting serious about bringing more PlayStation games to the PC
PCW Evaluation Team
Set up is effortless.
The strength of the Aruba Instant On AP11D is that the design and feature set support the modern, flexible, and mobile way of working.
Aruba backs the AP11D up with a two-year warranty and 24/7 phone support.
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
- 100 Great PC Games You Should Play Before You Die
- Best Click Frenzy mobile and Internet plan deals
- Microsoft’s iconic browser Internet Explorer is being killed off in June
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies