Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PlayStation 4)
Open world game pits you against the armies of Sauron.
- Large open world to explore
- Responsive battle system
- Short single player campaign
- Minor slowdown in some parts
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is an action-packed adventure that does justice to the famous property it is based on.
Price$ 88.99 (AUD)
The Lord of the Rings trilogy may have come to an end, though the lore of Middle-earth has been revived with the recent Hobbit movies. Games have also been faithfully recreating the fantasy setting, and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is the latest one to do so. Free from being tied to a single film or book, Shadow of Mordor aims to take a fresh perspective on the renowned property.
A new hero is born
The story of Shadow of Mordor is centred on a new protagonist called Talion. After being executed by Sauron’s forces, Talion’s spirit gets attached to an elf ghost that enables him to return to Middle-earth. Now that he’s among the living again, Talion’s only goal is to get revenge on those who wronged him.
Shadow of Mordor is a third person action title where the action is brutal and gory from the get-go. Much like Ryse: Son of Rome, the game comes with gruesome finishing moves and gritty executions. When Talion is not busy dispatching with enemies, there are times where it is more prudent to sneak by enemies undetected.
The combat in Shadow of Mordor is well-balanced and responsive throughout, which is crucial considering the hordes of enemies you encounter throughout your travels. Talion uses a sword during combat, and a series of successful strikes builds up to a takedown move. You also have a bow that can be used to pick off enemies from a distance, and a handy ability to slow down time helps to steady the aim in tight situations.
Choose your own adventure
The game starts off as a hack-and-slash title, and it evolves into a more tactical experience once you get the mind-control ability. With it, you can turn enemies against each other while you watch from the sidelines. This mechanic opens the game up to new strategies, such as controlling a lieutenant and using them to kill a warchief before then disposing of the lieutenant yourself.
Shadow of Mordor makes use of an open world like the Batman: Arkham games, so you are free to complete tasks at your own pace. The world is expansive and brimming with lore from the Lord of the Rings, and the PlayStation 4 does a good job of rendering these environments in high definition. There is some minor slowdown in some parts of the game, such as the mind-control segments, though it did not affect the gameplay.
The single player missions form the core of Shadow of Mordor, though there is plenty of content after the game is completed. After the story concludes, hunting down the remaining warchiefs will occupy most of your time. There are also several side missions that test your skills with weapons and ability in wildlife-hunting.
Your destiny awaits
Most games based on Lord of the Rings have been derivative so far, though Shadow of Mordor provides a more mature take on the property. The open world nature of the game provides you with a fair amount of freedom to create your own adventure, while the fighting engine is balanced enough to ensure battles never get too frustrating. This ensures the game remains highly playable even when the single player campaign ends.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft's Phantom Dust remaster brings the cult Xbox classic to PCs, for free
- This year's Steam Summer Sale dates have already leaked
- How to play the Quake Champions open beta this weekend
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCJunior Security System AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ProductsNSW
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANENSW
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- FTProject SchedulerQLD
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- CCProgram SupportVIC
- CCProgram Director- Service Integration and Management (SIAM)NSW
- FTDesktop Support EngineerSA
- TPSenior Deployment Officer (Office 365)QLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTProject Manager / Web DeveloperVIC
- FTLAMP Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Microwave Transmission EngineerNSW