Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PlayStation 4)
Open world game pits you against the armies of Sauron.
- Large open world to explore
- Responsive battle system
- Short single player campaign
- Minor slowdown in some parts
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is an action-packed adventure that does justice to the famous property it is based on.
Price$ 88.99 (AUD)
The Lord of the Rings trilogy may have come to an end, though the lore of Middle-earth has been revived with the recent Hobbit movies. Games have also been faithfully recreating the fantasy setting, and Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is the latest one to do so. Free from being tied to a single film or book, Shadow of Mordor aims to take a fresh perspective on the renowned property.
A new hero is born
The story of Shadow of Mordor is centred on a new protagonist called Talion. After being executed by Sauron’s forces, Talion’s spirit gets attached to an elf ghost that enables him to return to Middle-earth. Now that he’s among the living again, Talion’s only goal is to get revenge on those who wronged him.
Shadow of Mordor is a third person action title where the action is brutal and gory from the get-go. Much like Ryse: Son of Rome, the game comes with gruesome finishing moves and gritty executions. When Talion is not busy dispatching with enemies, there are times where it is more prudent to sneak by enemies undetected.
The combat in Shadow of Mordor is well-balanced and responsive throughout, which is crucial considering the hordes of enemies you encounter throughout your travels. Talion uses a sword during combat, and a series of successful strikes builds up to a takedown move. You also have a bow that can be used to pick off enemies from a distance, and a handy ability to slow down time helps to steady the aim in tight situations.
Choose your own adventure
The game starts off as a hack-and-slash title, and it evolves into a more tactical experience once you get the mind-control ability. With it, you can turn enemies against each other while you watch from the sidelines. This mechanic opens the game up to new strategies, such as controlling a lieutenant and using them to kill a warchief before then disposing of the lieutenant yourself.
Shadow of Mordor makes use of an open world like the Batman: Arkham games, so you are free to complete tasks at your own pace. The world is expansive and brimming with lore from the Lord of the Rings, and the PlayStation 4 does a good job of rendering these environments in high definition. There is some minor slowdown in some parts of the game, such as the mind-control segments, though it did not affect the gameplay.
The single player missions form the core of Shadow of Mordor, though there is plenty of content after the game is completed. After the story concludes, hunting down the remaining warchiefs will occupy most of your time. There are also several side missions that test your skills with weapons and ability in wildlife-hunting.
Your destiny awaits
Most games based on Lord of the Rings have been derivative so far, though Shadow of Mordor provides a more mature take on the property. The open world nature of the game provides you with a fair amount of freedom to create your own adventure, while the fighting engine is balanced enough to ensure battles never get too frustrating. This ensures the game remains highly playable even when the single player campaign ends.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Australian Game Developers March On, Generating $118.5M In Spite of Limited Recognition and Support
- Overwatch League draws millions of eyes in first week
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Razer
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- FTIntegration Technical LeadOther
- CCFunctional Business AnalystNSW
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- CCQA/Business AnalystNSW
- FTPortfolio Management & Governance ConsultantOther
- FTIT Security OfficerACT
- CCFunctional Business Analyst ? CanberraACT
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- TPICT Project ManagerWA
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- CCIBM Lotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- TPICT Service Assurance Manager - ServiceNowQLD
- FTLead Data Engineer - Greenfield projectQLD
- CCHFC Project Manager (Delivery) - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTSecurity Consultant/Snr Security ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial ServicesQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPSystems ArchitectNSW
- FTMobile Developers (Android OR iOS)WA
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerSA
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- FTEPMO Support AnalystWA
- FTSenior Information Security ConsultantNSW