Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment LEGO Batman: The Videogame
A blocky Dark Knight.
- It's a charming and fun take on the Batman universe; the cast of playable characters is great
- The computer A.I. partner isn't very much help; play the game with a friend for best results
The developers behind the magical LEGO Star Wars and the thrilling LEGO Indiana Jones bring their brand of blocky fun to the world of Batman. Full of surprises, humor and an all-star cast of playable characters, it's yet another solid reinvention of an established license. Plus, it has Batman in it!
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
I am a huge nerd when it comes to Batman, so my expectations for the LEGO version of my favourite superhero franchise were understandably high. After seeing what Traveller's Tales did with the Dark Knight, I'm really happy to say that it lives up my expectations as well as the high bar set by the company's previous efforts. With just the right amount of humour and some clever game design, LEGO Batman's a great title for Bat-obsessed fanboys and casual gamers alike.
BIFF! BOOM! BAM!
The first thing I noticed about LEGO Batman is that it isn't as silly or as lighthearted as its siblings. Gotham City is a far darker place and Traveller's Tales wisely kept that motif intact. There are some welcome attempts at humour, like the characters emotive faces and pratfalls, but it's not overdone, which is a good thing overall. The colour palette skews more towards darker tones but the visual style still jumps out at you.
Gameplay wise, it stays true to the LEGO formula — you run around cleverly designed levels breaking apart the scenery, collecting gobs of LEGO studs and solving simple puzzles. You also fight criminals and deal with the occasional boss fight but it isn't particularly taxing, especially since you get unlimited lives (the only penalty is that you lose some studs each time you die, which affects your end of level rating). There are also some cool vehicle-based levels that add a nice sense of variety and multiple costumes you can collect that impart special abilities. You also get to play from the villains' viewpoint which is especially awesome since the baddies, from the Joker on down, display the most personality.
Breaking The Law
The only gripe I had with LEGO Batman is that you really can't play it alone; the AI partner isn't particularly helpful and while it does an adequate job of being in the right place when it comes to cooperative puzzles, it spends most of its time just sort of standing around. But the real joy of a LEGO game is heading out with a friend to smash stuff up and grab scads of loot, so it's not that big of a deal.
With a great variety of levels, tons of things to smash and collect, and a loveable cast of iconic heroes and villains, LEGO Batman is a fun and enjoyable title that will appeal not only to younger gamers but to Batman fans alike. It's not Dark Knight: The Video Game but it's an excellent addition to the Batman mythos nonetheless.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Assassin’s Creed 2019: Release date, platforms and location rumours
- World of Tanks preps for March Madness and St Patricks Day
- PAX AUS 2018 partners with EB Expo
- Planet of the Apes comes to VR
- New Zealand Consumer Spend on Video Games Headed Towards Half a Billion Dollars
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Five 2017 flagship smartphones that are now less than $900
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior BA x 2Other
- FTJunior ServiceNow Technical AnalystOther
- CCPrincipal Project Manager - ieMR ImplementationQLD
- CCApplication PackagerVIC
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- FTFront End Developer (Mid Level)Other
- CCApplications EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk SupportVIC
- CCSENIOR PROJECT MANAGER - INFRASTRUCTURENSW
- FTVMWare LeadOther
- CCData Migration lead - Energy and GasVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer - Big DataOther
- TPPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- FTAccount Security Manager - Permanent - Sydney RegionNSW
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Integration Practitioner - BRF/DSMACT
- CCMessaging AdministratorQLD
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Support Technician - Karratha basedWA
- FTReporting Business Analyst - $62 phOther
- FTSAP ABAP (CRM)/ UI5 DevelopersOther
- CCOffice365 SpecialistNSW