- Progressive scan support, useful extra features
- Unstable, poor attention to detail, no support for DivX or XviD
The DVD-ZK7 offers some high end features like progressive scan NTSC and PAL playback, but it's let down by poor stability and a lack of DivX video support.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Voxson's DVD-ZK7 portable DVD player is tiny, measuring a mere 20 x 15 x 3cm and weighing in at less than a kilogram. Like other Voxson models, the DVD-ZK7 doesn't include support for WMV, DivX or XviD, although it can handle burnt media. DVDs and audio CDs play back without glitches, as do CD-R or CD-RW discs full of MP3 audio files or JPEG images. The 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio.
The silver unit features a clamshell design with a top-loading DVD drive. Setup, LCD, mode and menu buttons accompany the standard suite of navigation controls. There are dials below the screen to adjust colour and brightness, and we found that both worked effectively. At the brightest setting, the DVD-ZK7 is clearly visible outdoors. In fact, we found ourselves leaving brightness and contrast set at around the midway point when watching movies inside.
The right-hand side of the machine provides a volume control and headphone connector, in addition to a coaxial output, AV input and output and progressive scan AV connector. A remote control is also bundled with the machine.
Unfortunately, the design suffers from a lack of attention to detail: there was a little play in the DVD drive cover straight from the box, as well as a disconcerting sticker on the bottom reading, "Notice: some DVD discs may not be compatible with this unit and may cause the unit to freeze". Testing proved this to be true, and the DVD-ZK7 locked up twice during testing, both times while trying to play a DVD.
Aside from this small glitch, the unit offers some handy features, like the ability to play back to either an NTSC or PAL TV with progressive scan support. It also includes coaxial audio and S-Video outputs, so it would be comfortable in a relatively high end AV setup. The DVD-ZK7 can also accept an external AV source, so it's possible to plug in a gaming console.
All up, a couple of playback glitches hamper what is otherwise a solid little unit supported by a one-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - CCIEOther
- CCNetwork Engineer - Cleveland BasedQLD
- CCService Delivery LeadQLD
- CCDevOps ConsultantQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTCloud Engineer - AWSOther
- CCProgram / Project AnalystVIC
- FTDevelopers (VB.Net/C#.Net)SA
- CCWindows 10 Deployment Team LeadVIC
- FTSalesForce AdministratorOther
- CCMicrosoft Systems EngineerVIC
- CCeLearning DeveloperACT
- FTLevel 3 Support Engineer (Tibco, Java, J2ee, Jboss)Other
- FTProgram Level Agile CoachOther
- CCNetwork Data AdminVIC
- FTSalesforce - MarketingOther
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- CCMitel Contact Centre SpecialistWA
- FTEnvironment and Deployment SpecialistACT
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- FTProject Manager- Cloud -Federal GovernmentOther
- FTNetwork Design EngineerOther