- Progressive scan support, useful extra features
- Unstable, poor attention to detail, no support for DivX or XviD
The DVD-ZK7 offers some high end features like progressive scan NTSC and PAL playback, but it's let down by poor stability and a lack of DivX video support.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Voxson's DVD-ZK7 portable DVD player is tiny, measuring a mere 20 x 15 x 3cm and weighing in at less than a kilogram. Like other Voxson models, the DVD-ZK7 doesn't include support for WMV, DivX or XviD, although it can handle burnt media. DVDs and audio CDs play back without glitches, as do CD-R or CD-RW discs full of MP3 audio files or JPEG images. The 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio.
The silver unit features a clamshell design with a top-loading DVD drive. Setup, LCD, mode and menu buttons accompany the standard suite of navigation controls. There are dials below the screen to adjust colour and brightness, and we found that both worked effectively. At the brightest setting, the DVD-ZK7 is clearly visible outdoors. In fact, we found ourselves leaving brightness and contrast set at around the midway point when watching movies inside.
The right-hand side of the machine provides a volume control and headphone connector, in addition to a coaxial output, AV input and output and progressive scan AV connector. A remote control is also bundled with the machine.
Unfortunately, the design suffers from a lack of attention to detail: there was a little play in the DVD drive cover straight from the box, as well as a disconcerting sticker on the bottom reading, "Notice: some DVD discs may not be compatible with this unit and may cause the unit to freeze". Testing proved this to be true, and the DVD-ZK7 locked up twice during testing, both times while trying to play a DVD.
Aside from this small glitch, the unit offers some handy features, like the ability to play back to either an NTSC or PAL TV with progressive scan support. It also includes coaxial audio and S-Video outputs, so it would be comfortable in a relatively high end AV setup. The DVD-ZK7 can also accept an external AV source, so it's possible to plug in a gaming console.
All up, a couple of playback glitches hamper what is otherwise a solid little unit supported by a one-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- TPSenior Instructional Designer/TrainerQLD
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersNSW
- FTHR Analyst - Remuneration & PerformanceOther
- FTIntegration Developer (WebSphere)Other
- FTexecutive OfficerOther
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- CCFull-Stack DeveloperVIC
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCService DesignerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTProject Manager - SAP PPMOther
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC
- FTBuild Support OfficerOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTMid-Level Project Manager - IP and Voice ProductsOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- FTInfrastructure Manager / Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCPricing AdministratorVIC
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW