- Tablet-style form factor, good audio
- No support for MPEG-4-based video formats
The Voxson SL-77 offers quality DVD playback on the road, but a lack of support for compressed formats like DivX and XviD limits its appeal for power users.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Voxson's SL-77 features a slot-loading optical drive instead of the top-loading versions favoured by most portable DVD players. As a result, it eschews the clamshell or notebook style designed in favour of a tablet shape. It has 7" LCD in a 16:9 aspect ratio, which sits in the centre of the silver front face, flanked by a grey border. Below is a pair of speakers, infrared sensor and navigation buttons. All connectors are found on the left-hand panel of the 20 x 16 x 4cm device, including a headphone output volume control, video output port, optical audio out port and 12V power socket.
The rechargeable lithium ion battery snaps onto the base and doubles as a stand for tabletop operation. There's also a bundled remote control for the times you want to plug it into a TV. Like in the entry-level SL-50, Voxson's SL-77 can accept an AV input, so it's possible to connect a console to the unit for mobile gaming.
The machine can't handle video compression formats such as XviD and DivX, and can only play back DVD and audio CDs or burned discs containing MP3 or JPEG images. This wouldn't be a serious limitation for most users, but for watching DivX or WMV movies on the road, you would be better off opting for a model with specific support.
The machine worked flawlessly in our tests, managing to play back all tested DVD videos and audio CDs. It output correctly to both PAL and NTSC televisions.
The SL-77 includes a dedicated Dolby decoder, and the audio quality was outstanding when matched to a pair of quality headphones. The display was clear, and bright enough to be used in the back of a car. Unfortunately, unlike some other models in Voxson's range, the SL-77 doesn't ship with a car adapter, so you would have to pick one up separately if you intended to use it on the road.
The tablet form factor of the SL-77 is appealing, and the machine ships with a one-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTSenior Solution Architect - Data CentreACT
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTSr SQL Developer/Data Migration SpecialistOther
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- FTMEAN Stack DeveloperACT
- FTChange Manager OR Senior Change AnalystOther
- TPAngular 1.4 - 6 months contractQLD
- CCSOC AnalystVIC
- CCSite Acquisition CoordinatorNSW
- FTTM1 DeveloperOther
- TPBA Enterprise ProgramVIC
- CCNetwork Planner - TelcoVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware ArchitectACT
- FTAnalyst Programmer - Contact Centre ApplicationsOther
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCScrum Master / Project ManagerNSW
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTInternal Communications ManagerOther