- Accepts external AV input
- No support for DivX, XviD or WMV formats
Though it doesn't include support for MPEG-4-based video formats, Voxson's entry-level SL-50 offers a clear, bright screen with Dolby Surround support. And you can even plug in an external input.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The SL-50 is the entry-level offering in Voxson's range of portable DVD players. The silver and grey unit sports a 7" screen (with a 16:9 aspect ratio) and closely resembles a small notebook. A volume control, dual headphone outputs, coaxial, AV and power connectors run down the right hand panel, while a group of navigation buttons sits next to the top-loading DVD tray.
The SL-50 can handle a range of media formats and had no problem with burnt discs during testing. Supported formats include DVDs, Kodak Picture CDs and audio CDs, or burnt discs containing MP3 or JPEG files.
Voxson has made every attempt to simplify setup and installation and has bundled a Quick Guide with the SL-50 to help cover basic operation. It gives examples (with diagrams) of functions like how to play a DVD, or connect to a TV or charger, and is a handy inclusion for anyone not comfortable with this technology.
The machine measures 21 x 16 x 41cm and ships with a car adapter. The bundled rechargeable battery proved good for nearly 3 hours of use away from a power source. The battery features its own power connector, so you can charge it while watching a DVD (provided you have two power adapters).
There's also a small silver remote control, although given that most portable DVD players (including the SL-50) sport 7" screens, it's rare that you would watch a movie from further than arm's reach away. It would come in handy for times when the device is connected to a TV to play back in a lounge or hotel room.
Both NTSC and PAL formats are supported, and the machine can handle progressive scan playback.
One relatively unusual feature is the ability to plug in an external AV source for playback on the SL-50. In testing, we connected up a game console for a few quick frags, and it worked flawlessly.
The SL-50 offers a clear, bright screen with Dolby Surround support. It's let down by a lack of support for video formats like DivX or WMV, but it's acceptable for an entry-level model. Add a game console and car adapter, and you could keep the kids quiet for hours on a long trip.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FTDesign Delivery Manager - Civil Engineering Background X2Other
- CCFeature Team Lead/Technology SpecialistVIC
- FT.Net Developer - Multiple positions availableSA
- FTSplunk DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- FTDigital Business AnalystACT
- FTBig Data DeveloperOther
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- CCUX DesignerVIC
- FTSOE Architect - Gold CoastQLD
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTBusiness Transformation LeadOther
- FTScrum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTFinancial AnalystOther
- FTSAP FICO ConsultantOther
- CCFilenet Developer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTPerformance TesterOther
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorSA
- FTMid Level Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther