VOXSON Companion Studio
- Slick design, can record directly to MP4
- Limited range of supported formats
Though the Voxson Companion Studio doesn’t support Windows media files, elegant design, a polished interface and the ability to record directly to MP4 all add to the unit’s appeal.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The ongoing boom in digital media has brought with it an influx of specially designed hardware to convert, play, and generally store video and music files. Voxson's Companion Studio, although a slick player, lacks advanced features and doesn't support some common file formats.
The Companion Studio boasts a 7" TFT screen running in a 16:9 aspect ratio, that can output video at up to 30 frames per second with a maximum resolution of 720 x 480 pixels. Three models are available, with capacities of 20GB, 40GB or 80GB respectively. Given that an MP3 music file generally compresses down to around 1MB per minute of audio, the largest of the three models provides enough space to store 80,000 minutes of music, more than enough for most user's needs.
Although the Companion Studio is available in white or blue, our review model offered a gloss black screen surround that gave a smooth, polished appearance. The 580g black model features blue edging that contains all the buttons and connectors. The top offers access to play controls and the power button, while the left includes AV in/out sockets, headphones, power and USB 2.0 interfaces. There's also a tiny microphone input next to the power connector for recording interviews, presentations or lectures.
The right face serves up a hold button, reset switch, and scroll-wheel for navigation, while the rear features a clip-on easel-style stand that allows it to sit on a coffee table or desk. The package includes all you'll need to connect the device to a television to either play back or record video files, and the Companion Studio even offers realtime recording into MP4 format. The machine ships with a copy of Ulead Video Toolbox 2 Home Edition video editing software, which can be used to trim and convert video for playback on the device.
We did however, experience a few minor issues with the review hardware. The power supply features two round pins, so you'll need an adaptor to connect it to an Australian wall socket. Enthusiast users will also lament the relatively slim range of compatible file formats compared with competing products. The Companion Studio supports MPEG4 video, MP3 audio files and JPEG, BMP or GIF images, meaning that some popular file formats - most notably Windows Media and OGG are left out in the cold.
Bundled extras include a velvet carry case and car power adapter, so you don't have to rely on the built-in lithium polymer battery on long road trips. Though the Companion Studio is a capable player, the lack of supported file formats means that there are better deals to be found elsewhere.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPService Delivery ManagerACT
- FTApplication Support SpecialistVIC
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Director - Gold CoastQLD
- CCSenior AngularJS DeveloperNSW
- FTWindows EngineerOther
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE Developer (Brisbane)Other
- CCPega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsACT
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- TPEL1 Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTSAP EMAOther
- FTScrum Master - Digital / Marketing - CBAOther
- FTAccount Commercial and Contract Manager (ANZ)VIC
- CCProject Implementation Support - Telecom IndustryVIC
- CCPega LSA - Banking IndustryVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW