VOXSON Companion Studio
- Slick design, can record directly to MP4
- Limited range of supported formats
Though the Voxson Companion Studio doesn’t support Windows media files, elegant design, a polished interface and the ability to record directly to MP4 all add to the unit’s appeal.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The ongoing boom in digital media has brought with it an influx of specially designed hardware to convert, play, and generally store video and music files. Voxson's Companion Studio, although a slick player, lacks advanced features and doesn't support some common file formats.
The Companion Studio boasts a 7" TFT screen running in a 16:9 aspect ratio, that can output video at up to 30 frames per second with a maximum resolution of 720 x 480 pixels. Three models are available, with capacities of 20GB, 40GB or 80GB respectively. Given that an MP3 music file generally compresses down to around 1MB per minute of audio, the largest of the three models provides enough space to store 80,000 minutes of music, more than enough for most user's needs.
Although the Companion Studio is available in white or blue, our review model offered a gloss black screen surround that gave a smooth, polished appearance. The 580g black model features blue edging that contains all the buttons and connectors. The top offers access to play controls and the power button, while the left includes AV in/out sockets, headphones, power and USB 2.0 interfaces. There's also a tiny microphone input next to the power connector for recording interviews, presentations or lectures.
The right face serves up a hold button, reset switch, and scroll-wheel for navigation, while the rear features a clip-on easel-style stand that allows it to sit on a coffee table or desk. The package includes all you'll need to connect the device to a television to either play back or record video files, and the Companion Studio even offers realtime recording into MP4 format. The machine ships with a copy of Ulead Video Toolbox 2 Home Edition video editing software, which can be used to trim and convert video for playback on the device.
We did however, experience a few minor issues with the review hardware. The power supply features two round pins, so you'll need an adaptor to connect it to an Australian wall socket. Enthusiast users will also lament the relatively slim range of compatible file formats compared with competing products. The Companion Studio supports MPEG4 video, MP3 audio files and JPEG, BMP or GIF images, meaning that some popular file formats - most notably Windows Media and OGG are left out in the cold.
Bundled extras include a velvet carry case and car power adapter, so you don't have to rely on the built-in lithium polymer battery on long road trips. Though the Companion Studio is a capable player, the lack of supported file formats means that there are better deals to be found elsewhere.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- CCAppian Developer x 2VIC
- FTInformation Architect / Data Architect- ETL, BINSW
- FTSenior System AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOACT
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Service Continuity ManagerACT
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelNSW
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerNSW
- TPSQL Server DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Ruby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- TPData Migration LeadNSW
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- TPEOI - Developers and Tester (APS)ACT
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCCommercial ManagerVIC