Vodafone Mobile Connect HSDPA USB Modem
- USB means flexibility, Works with both Windows and Mac, Good software, Ease of use and setup
- Unreliable when in standard 3G or GSM coverage area, limited and unknown full HSDPA coverage, Expensive
The Mobile Connect HSDPA USB Modem is flexible and works well if you are in HSDPA coverage. Unfortunately, costs are high and its performance in regular 3G and GSM coverage areas isn't reliable for anything more than web browsing and email.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Offering wireless access to the Internet via Vodafone's high-speed 3G network, the Mobile Connect HSDPA USB Modem is a nifty device. It connects via USB, so it offers a flexible alternative for users of desktop PCs and notebooks, as many new machines don't have PCMCIA card slots. Unfortunately, limited High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) network coverage means users won't be able to take full advantage of higher speeds in every area.
According to Vodafone, the USB Modem provides data download speeds of up to 3.6 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 384Kbps. However, only limited parts of the Vodafone HSDPA network are running at a rate of 3.6Mbps and Vodafone hasn't announced exactly where these spots are. Most of the time, users will only be able to achieve the standard HSDPA rate of 1.8Mbps.
The Mobile Connect service supports connectivity in HSDPA, 3G and GPRS coverage areas. If the HSDPA signal strength isn't strong enough, the service falls back to standard 3G (a maximum speed of 384Kbps). If no HSDPA or 3G signal can be received, then the modem will revert down to standard GSM (60Kbps maximum), which is barely useable, even for basic web browsing.
During testing, the modem performed well in our offices (based in St Leonards, Sydney) receiving a standard HSDPA signal. However, it struggled in the western suburbs of Sydney, only managing to connect via a low, regular 3G signal. For consistency we performed a number of tests, ranging from small amounts of data, like emails and basic Web browsing, to streaming services, and finally to basic downloading of files (ranging from 1MB to 4MB in size).
The USB modem has no problem with basic web browsing, loading pages swiftly and without much delay. We also checked our email successfully, with a stable connection and fairly consistent speeds in our offices. If you are in a HSDPA or 3G coverage area, streaming media from such websites as You Tube and Pandora isn't a problem, but this is virtually impossible if the coverage drops down to GSM. We struggled with streaming in western Sydney, as we could only receive standard 3G coverage.
Downloading small files while in a standard HSDPA coverage area, we were able to achieve speeds of up to 97KB/s, but most often fluctuated between 78KB/s and 88KB/s. The USB Modem is therefore ideal for the business user, since they will have reliable access to email and web browsing and won't be interested in streaming media or the downloading of files.
The Vodafone Mobile Connect software included in the package scores points for ease of use and setup. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS's, and took less than a couple of minutes to install on our notebook. After a restart, we were up and running. A convenient dashboard menu uses tabs for connect, SMS, MMS email, Web and support, and users can even check their usage patterns for both current and previous months.
Three plans are offered for the USB Modem, ranging from the entry level $29.95 a month for 100MB of data to the highest $99.95 for 1GB of data. All plans charge an additional 30 cents per megabyte for any additional usage, while users can also change between data bundles from month to month, without penalty and without any contract required.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTApplication Packaging EngineerOther
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCJava Developer - Government organisationVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectACT
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- FTReporting Analyst - Planning & ForecastingOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- CC.net developerNSW
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSharePoint Admin & Developer- Australian Citizens onlyOther
- CCSolaris / Oracle SPARC administratorVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTFront End Developer - Ractive.JS (Urgent)Other
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW