"If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63."
Vizio P50 HDM
Cheap plasma panel
- Low price, easy to set up
- No NTSC or ATSC tuner, image quality could be better
Vizio's 50-inch P50 HDM plasma HDTV monitor doesn't require the same cash outlay as a full-fledged plasma HDTV. However, you might be able to find products at a similar price point that deliver better picture.
The first thing to understand about the Vizio 50-inch P50 HDM is that it's a plasma HD monitor, not a full-fledged plasma HDTV. This means that it forgoes an analog NTSC tuner and a digital ATSC tuner, instead requiring an external tuner to display any kind of TV content. The P50 HDM costs considerably less than an actual HDTV. However, PC World (US) has found better image quality in another plasma HDTV monitor at the same cost.
Our jury found the Vizio's image quality adequate on high-definition and standard-definition TV content, with a few caveats. Colour looked good, but the P50 HDM's picture appeared dark and lacking in detail on both high-def and standard-def content. These problems became even more apparent on our DVD test of a shady scene in The Lord of the Ring: The Return of the King. Though it wasn't unwatchable, we've seen better performance from other plasmas.
The P50 HDM's strength lies in its ease of use. Like Vizio's L32HDTV LCD TV, the P50 HDM comes with a setup poster as well as a very detailed manual. Colour-coding makes it easy to match inputs to the poster. Finding the inputs on the back of the monitor is a snap, but plugging devices into them is a bit awkward. The inputs face down, so you have to feel for them when inserting connectors. The monitor also lacks a CableCard slot, which would be handy.
The glossy black P50 HDM looks attractive. I found the remote control comfortable and its layout easy to navigate. The onscreen menus were easy to master, too. The picture-in-picture function was especially simple to use, and it's flexible to boot: You can set the PIP window in four different positions and three sizes.
To my ears, audio sounded fine (but not fantastic) coming through the built-in speakers with SRS TruSurround XT. The P50 HDM offers one RCA audio output, but no digital audio output.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Federal court upholds LG verdict over misleading representations
- Kogan open pre-orders for new cheap OLED TV
- Kogan launches new affordable Smart TV range
- TCL details Australian pricing for 2018 QLED TV range in time for May launch
- Hisense Unveils 2018 ULED TV Range
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Amazon Prime 2018: All The Best Deals
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- ASUS Zenbook Pro 15: A futuristic, exciting, imperfect, flagship notebook
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies