ViewSonic VX2739wm LCD monitor
The ViewSonic VX2739wm is a relatively inexpensive 27in monitor that offers reasonable image quality
- Sheer size of screen makes it a winner, matte display, Full HD, HDMI, minimal ghosting
- Limited adjustment options, awkwardly positioned OSD buttons, slight backlight bleeding
If you're purely after a very large LCD monitor, then the ViewSonic VX2739wm should be near the top of your list. However, if you want optimal image quality, we would recommend spending a little less on a smaller but better quality display.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
ViewSonic's VX2739wm Full HD, 27in LCD monitor is targeted towards gamers and boasts an HDMI port and built-in speakers. It is relatively inexpensive for a monitor of this size and offers reasonable image quality, but it doesn't excel in any particular area.
Once you get past the sheer size of the ViewSonic VX2739wm, this is quite a standard monitor. It has a glossy black bezel surrounding the display but, thankfully, a matte finish on the actual screen itself. We prefer screens with matte finishes, as a glossy finish usually reflects fluorescent lighting and can be distracting. The VX2739wm sits on a standard dome shaped base. The stand can only tilt; you can't adjust the height or swivel it. The monitor is wall mountable using a standard VESA mount.
The ViewSonic VX2739wm has four buttons that control the on-screen display (OSD) on the bottom right side of the bezel. The OSD is easy to use, but the buttons are awkwardly positioned towards the back of the monitor and the lack of light and hard-to-read labels mean using them at night isn't ideal. This isn't a huge issue though; once you've selected optimal picture settings, you shouldn't need to change them very often.
The ViewSonic VX2739wm has a 1920x1080, Full HD resolution. Its 1000:1 static contrast ratio and 300cd/m2 brightness are on par with most other TN LCD monitors on the market, and even some of the smaller LED-backlit screens such as the Samsung SyncMaster XL2370. However it boasts a significantly faster 1ms response time; along with HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs, this makes it ideal to connect to one of the latest high-definition gaming consoles. ViewSonic has clearly targeted this monitor at gamers on a budget. The two built-in speakers offer little in the way of bass but do a reasonable job on the whole, while we experienced no sign of lag or ghosting during gaming or movie watching via an HDMI connection.
ViewSonic has recently announced that all of its future LCD monitors will be LED-backlit, but the VX2739wm unfortunately misses out on this treatment. Despite this, image quality is reasonably detailed with strong brightness and accurate colours. During our DisplayMate tests, the VX2739wm distinguished gradients well but fell short in some of the colour tests — colours are accurate but not as vivid as we've seen on other TN panels. Backlight bleeding, a common issue for basic LCD monitors, is also present on the VX2739wm and is particularly noticeable on the top and bottom edges of the screen, while the backlight isn't as warm as some of the latest LED-backlit monitors.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIteration Manager/Scrum MasterWA
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Global MarketsOther
- FTData EngineerOther
- TPJunior Service Desk AnalystQLD
- FTProject Administrator/CoordinatorSA
- FTInstructional Designer - eLearning SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperNSW
- CCLinux DevOps Engineer - Cloud platformVIC
- CCSoftware Engineer /.NET Developer - Role based in PerthVIC
- FTChange Manager OCMOther
- FTHR Payroll Officer - Government background onlyOther
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD
- FTFullstack .NET Developer - AngularOther
- FTWindows 10 Deployment ManagerOther
- CCSenior IOS DeveloperVIC
- CCRequirements AnalystACT
- CCFront-End Developer (React)NSW
- CCLead Developer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTOracle e-Business Suite ConsultantOther
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTManager Information ServicesQLD
- FTAngularJS DeveloperOther
- FTProblem ManagerSA