- Attractive design, Integrated web-cam, Widescreen, Good image quality
- Some uniformity issues, no USB ports
If you are looking for a sexy white monitor with a good range of features you will find this unit very satisfying
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The Viewsonic VX2255wmh is a 22in LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. At first glance, the image seems similar to the VX2245wm ViewDock. However, as far as image quality is concerned, upon closer inspection we found a handful of problems. With an "Apple Mac" white aesthetic, integrated web-cam and swivel base, it certainly has a lot going for it. However, there are also negative factors that may cause some users to look elsewhere.
We tested the image quality by running the monitor under regular usage conditions, using a variety of tasks such as gaming and office applications. In addition, we also ran DisplayMate Video Edition tests to look for any shortcomings at a fundamental level.
Our gaming tests consisted of World of Warcraft and Doom 3. The environments in both games were rendered well and the colours were accurately reproduced. Some slight calibration was required to achieve an optimal result, as the brightness level was a little too high, but this was the only tweaking required. Black levels were excellent, image clarity and detail were superb and we found no noise at all.
Our motion tests showed very little blur and no ghosting. The quoted speed of this unit is 5ms and from our visual appraisals, this appears to be an accurate figure. We were also quite happy with the horizontal viewing angle, as we experienced no colour shift until about 170 degrees. In DisplayMate Video Edition we found a concerning shortcoming. There were some uniformity problems in the outer edges and corners of the screen. This made the edges of the display looking darker than the rest of the panel. However, this was the only real problem we found. The colour tests were all rendered well and there was no noise or discolouration in the grayscale tests. The streaking tests came back negative and the resolution tests showed no signed of banding or pixilation.
The VX2255wmh accepts both DVI and VGA signals and can switch between inputs with the touch of a button. The integrated speakers are fairly mediocre in audio quality and will only handle very basic use. If you are a gamer, it's probably best to get an exterior set of speaker if you use this monitor.
Finally, we tested the integrated webcam and microphone by instigating video chats in Windows Live Messenger and joining a video chat room on Stickam.com. Over Messenger the video was quite good for an integrated unit and the audio was clear and easy to understand. However, over Stickam, the video was a little pixelated and grainy - though this is to be expected for a unit like this.
If you are looking for a sexy white monitor with a good range of features you will find this unit very satisfying. Its only real problem is the uniformity issue which will defiantly annoy purists.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerSA
- FTIT Service Continuity ManagerACT
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdVIC
- FTField Technician - Radio communication serviceACT
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelNSW
- TPServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO LeadNSW
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTRelease / Implementation ManagerSA
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTAppian DeveloperQLD
- FTChange Manager, Agile Environment, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTNetwork Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTTelecommunications Provisioning LeadQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD