A 22in LCD monitor for CAD and graphic design professionals.
- Great horizontal viewing angels, matte coat, good colour reproduction, dynamic contrast ratio has its merits for consumer use
- Too many consumer-focused features to be professional, USB ports are hard to reach, some tearing in fast motion, reds are over-saturated
Viewsonic's VP2250wb is a compromise between a consumer 22in monitor and a professional quality display. While it does a good job in most regards it still won't cut it for professionals, who will need to stick with IPS panel monitors.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Most 22in LCD monitors use twisted nematic (TN) panels, which are characterised by poor colour reproduction and viewing angles, and are generally unsuitable for professional graphics and CAD applications. Viewsonic attempts to remedy this with the VP2250wb. It doesn't suffer from these problems to the same extent as other TN-based monitors, but it still isn't good enough for professional use and there are better options available.
It is capable of a maximum resolution of 1680x1050 pixels, yielding a 16:10 aspect ratio that is more suited to a desktop environment than movie watching. The biggest difference between the VP2250wb and competing monitors is its 3000:1 contrast ratio; disappointingly, however, this is a dynamic figure. Typical contrast is an industry standard 1000:1.
The monitor has a thin and unassuming black bezel that doesn't impose on the panel with a glossy finish. It also uses a matte panel, reducing glare and preventing unrealistic colour representation. Unfortunately, this also makes the monitor difficult to keep clean.
The monitor can be tilted and swivelled as well as raised and lowered; it can also be rotated into portrait mode, which is sure to be handy in some graphics applications.
It offers DVI and VGA connections, as well as integrated speakers and a 4-port USB hub. A USB hub is a handy feature, but the ports are hard to reach.
Four buttons on the bottom of the bezel provide access to the monitor's onscreen display and options such as contrast/brightness, colour temperature and custom user colour settings. The onscreen display allows users to turn dynamic contrast on and off (a setting which any discerning professional is sure to utilise).
The VP2250wb boasts a grey-to-grey response time of 2ms; this is standard for most current monitors. You can adjust this response time through the onscreen display, selecting Standard, Advanced or Ultra Fast. Unfortunately, this had no noticeable effect on the screen, and changing the setting didn't prevent tearing during fast motion graphics and video. Though this isn't disastrous for graphics and CAD uses, the impact can be dire when editing video.
TN panels are infamous for poor colour reproduction and viewing angles, but the VP2250wb performs commendably in both fields. The viewing angles are some of the best we have seen from a 22in monitor. Viewing the monitor from different horizontal angles does not impact on the picture, but when viewed from different vertical angles colours will wash out. Nevertheless, the VP2250wb still outdoes most other TN-based monitors.
Out of the box, the VP2250wb will require some calibration — particularly if you need accurate colour representation — but once this is done, the results are respectable. Reds are slightly over-saturated, but the remainder of the monitor's colour gamut is certainly better than we have seen from a TN panel. The colour reproduction won't match the standard set by higher quality IPS panels, but Viewsonic manages to avoid many of the failures of similar-sized monitors.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
- G-Sync HDR displays go ultrawide and ultra-fast with the 200Hz Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCDeployment ManagerVIC
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTNetwork Support Engineer - HFC and FTTxOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Java Developer (Brisbane Location)ACT
- FTManager, Platform Wealth OperationsOther
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- CCTechnical Team Lead/Application Developer Team Lead - Government OrganisationVIC
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- TPDelivery Lead - IT Services Function - Day rateNSW
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- TPSenior .NET ContractNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- CCSenior RF Engineer - OptimisationVIC
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCSAS DeveloperNSW